KFSM, 5NEWS, the number one station in Northwest Arkansas, is searching for a highly innovative and passionate meteorologist to join our winning team. The successful candidate must have a passion for winning severe weather and telling the weather story even on sunny days. The ideal candidate embraces technology and thrives in a fast-paced environment where the use of live cameras, user-generated content and field reporting is a must.
We are looking for a team player who can help with every aspect of meteorology, from forecasting, to preparing graphics, to reporting in the field, you will be an integral part of severe weather coverage, and reaching our consumers not only on TV, but online and on social media. Another "must have" is to understand the importance of community involvement by speaking at schools and other community functions.
Northwest Arkansas is one of the fastest growing areas in the nation, often referred to as America’s hidden gem. We have all the big city amenities without the big city hustle and bustle. Fayetteville was recently named one of the top places to live in the country according to U.S. News & World Report. There is no limit to things you can do and explore in Northwest Arkansas. Our DMA has charming downtowns, world-class art museums, internationally ranked bike trails, hundreds of waterfalls, award-winning cuisine, the top-rated farmers markets in the country, street festivals and top-rated performances.
The candidate will do weather for our weekend morning show as well as our noon and 4pm newscasts during scheduled weekdays in a newly built 26,500 square foot facility with the latest broadcasting technology.
- Research, prepare, and deliver weather content in newscasts and across all platforms utilizing all available weather data, graphics computers and radars both in-studio and in the field
- Write & post stories on social media platforms.
- Present long-form presentations when our area is threatened by tropical storms or other severe weather
- Present on-air with clear, concise, and interesting weather graphics
- Prepare and deliver severe weather updates, interrupting regular programming as necessary
- Create digital and social weather content multiple times a day with differentiated weather segments for broadcast
- Interact with audiences on multiple platforms, especially during severe weather events
- Communicate and guide weather content plans for aggressive, accurate weather coverage
- Bachelor of Science in Meteorology or Atmospheric Science, is preferred
- Strong communication skills (written/oral) for on-air delivery
- Demonstrated ability to provide accurate weather forecasts using the latest weather technology in a multi-platform environment
- Exceptional online and social media skills
- Previous experience with severe weather is preferred
- Knowledge of WSI preferred
- Be available to work a flexible schedule, including weekends and holidays, and fill-in when necessary
Work Environment: Office
Physical Demands: Sedentary work
Travel: Rarely: less than 10%
Work Environment Set: Office: normally performed in a typical interior/office environment
Physical Demands Set: Sedentary work: Involves sitting most of the time; walking, lifting, bending, standing, etc.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 63 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit http://www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information. TEGNA complies with all applicable laws related to accommodations.
HOW TO APPLY