WMAZ in Macon, GA is looking for an engaging and innovative journalist to join our team as a Weekend Evening Anchor and Multi-Skilled Journalist. We are seeking a dynamic personality, passionate storyteller, and team player, who knows how to connect with the community on all platforms. Our ideal candidate understands this role is much more than reading a prompter, it is about authenticity, relating with the audience, and guiding our communities with context around the news. We want a digitally savvy team member that can reach our audience on all platforms.
In this role, you'll be responsible for solo anchoring our weekend evening newscasts. You will be expected to take a leadership role in the broadcasts, assisting with the show's execution and writing. You will also report at least three days a week as a general assignment Multi-Skilled Journalist. Your reporting will require establishing sources, breaking news, and pitching unique enterprise ideas.
Fill-in anchoring on other shows and during station special coverage is also part of your responsibilities. You will be expected to establish and maintain social media accounts and grow them with guidance from our digital team.
• Anchor weekend newscasts
• Take a leadership role in the broadcasts by planning, participating in content creation, and helping organize available news crews
• Contribute content and stories at least three days a week as a Multi-Skilled Journalist
• Establish sources, utilize social listening skills, cover breaking news, and pitch unique enterprise ideas
• Write and post daily on all digital platforms including WMAZ-branded social media accounts
• Fill-in on the anchor desk for other shows and during special coverage
• Participate in community partnerships and events
• Minimum one year of reporting experience preferred and demonstrated anchor experience
• Ability to calmly handle breaking news situations from the anchor desk and live from the field
• Knowledge of non-linear editing systems and ability to shoot and edit your own packages
• Organizational skills and the ability to work under constant time pressure deadlines
• Ability to work different shifts, including mornings, nights and weekends
• BA/BS in journalism or a communications-related field preferred
• A portfolio with examples of strong breaking, general, and feature news anchoring and reporting
Work Environment: Office
Physical Demands: Sedentary work
Travel: Rarely: less than 10%
Work Environment Set: Office: normally performed in a typical interior/office environment
Physical Demands Set: Sedentary work: Involves sitting most of the time; walking, lifting, bending, standing, etc.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 63 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit http://www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information. TEGNA complies with all applicable laws related to accommodations.
HOW TO APPLY