5NEWS in Northwest Arkansas has an immediate opening for a Sports Anchor and Reporter to join our growing team in Fayetteville.
We’re seeking an independent, innovative storyteller who can break out of the sea of sameness and innovate local sports for a new generation with an emphasis on character-driven sports storytelling.
The ideal candidate is committed to being a local sports expert on all things high school sports, and of course, the Arkansas Razorbacks. The right person for this job goes beyond the highlights of games and builds sportscasts with moments and great storytelling.
There is nothing quite like the Arkansas Razorback fanbase, our fans line up and sell out stadiums for all athletics not just football and basketball. You must be passionate about all things sports including various stories, perspectives, and points of view.
You must be able to tell stories in a unique way to capture the attention of an audience who’s already seen the national sports networks and has dozens of Twitter alerts on their phone.
• Develop story ideas, write, shoot and edit news stories for on-air broadcasting and digital platforms.
• Write in an exciting, captivating and authentic manner.
• Use the latest editing and photography tools to tell great stories.
• Develop original content through social listening and independent sources.
• Use your skills to produce different sportscasts and specials that aren’t afraid to break the mold.
• Deliver on-air events in an engaging, exciting, and accurate manner.
• Interview news subjects and research for facts and credibility.
• Develop sources that allow you to break stories.
• Write and post daily on all digital platforms including social media.
• Enterprise sports stories.
• Shoot, write and edit packaged reports.
• Write for the web, including attaching images and streaming video.
• BA/BS in journalism or a communications-related field preferred
• A strong natural on-camera presentation
• Effective communication skills to be able to relay information to content team.
• Experience in photojournalism, editing and content management systems including ENPS and Edius
• Understanding the tenets of professional journalism
• A portfolio with examples of sports anchoring, breaking sports reporting and heartfelt sports stories
• Ability to generate creative, engaging, content-driven live shots.
• Strong social media skills, including an active sports presence on Twitter and Facebook
• Organizational skills and the ability to work under constant time pressure deadlines.
• Ability to calmly handle live, breaking sports situations and changing events.
Work Environment: Office
Physical Demands: Light work
Travel: Occasionally: 10-25%
Work Environment Set: Office: normally performed in a typical interior/office environment
Physical Demands Set: Light work: Involves sitting most of the time, walking, lifting, bending, standing, etc.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 64 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit http://www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information. TEGNA complies with all applicable laws related to accommodations.