About Gray Television:
Gray Television is a leading media company that owns and operates high-quality stations in 113 television markets that collectively reach 36 percent of US television households.
We constantly strive for excellence. Through upgrading to the latest technology and seeking new ways to stay on top in our markets, we focus on training and development of the best and brightest employees in the business.
KGNS TV’s market dominance begins with a prime offering of NBC, CBS, ABC, CW and Telemundo affiliations; and a delivery daily newscasts across multiple broadcasts and digital streams including desktop and mobile. KGNS TV, the areas’ leading news broadcaster is located in the Laredo, Texas Metropolitan area and serves a combined population of over 790,000 (seven hundred ninety thousand) on the South Texas and US/Mexico border. The area consisting of Webb, Zapata, Dimmit, LaSalle, Maverick, Zavala, Frio, Duval and Jim Hogg counties; and Nuevo Laredo, Tamaulipas, Mexico is geographically poised for success between two nations. A thriving and dynamic area for all things news, the Laredo Metro area houses a diverse economy that is often immune to economic anomalies experienced by the rest of the country. Touted the number 1 (one) inland port on the US/Mexico border and diverse in her economy, whether it be ranching, agriculture, international trade, healthcare, education, retail, manufacturing or oil/gas, Laredo and our sister cities offer a wide range of industries to foster a consistently healthy economy. Laredo’s population is a diverse blend of ethnicities with a median age of 27 (twenty seven). Her young and vibrant energy lends itself to a history that offers entertainment, a wide array of eateries and a cultural immersion in a unique experience that can only be held by the romance of this U.S. / Mexico border culture.
A home to many successful broadcasters, KGNS TV has a reputation of preparing reporters, producers, and anchors for their next move, which includes moves to larger metro markets. On the sales and marketing side, training in integrated marketing techniques is one of the reasons our team continues to thrive. The KGNS TV family is one where integrity, ethics, and personal growth are fostered. After all, it’s always sunny in Laredo, Texas.
KGNS News is currently soliciting resumes for the position of Weekend Sports News Anchor/MMJ. The successful candidate will have the best of both worlds by producing and anchoring the sports segment for our weekend newscasts and reporting for news three days of a week. During heavy sports seasons, such as high school football or other peak sports times, this individual will shift into sports mode to help our sports director with sports coverage. KGNS also televises live high school football, so this individual should also be comfortable with play-by-play and color commentary.
Duties/Responsibilities include (but not limited to):
– Write, shoot, edit stories
– Assist with coverage of sports during busy times of the year (preps football, basketball, etc.)
– may include filming game highlights, fronting highlights live in studio or the field, reporting on teams, etc.
– Roughly 70%/30% split, covering news/sports, respectively
– Use social media as a way to enhance reporting
– Research story ideas/plan ahead
– Assist with producing if needed
– Participate in editorial meetings
– Maintain a flexible schedule that allows for being called in after hours if news breaks
– Assist team members in planning coverage of major events (festivals, etc.)
– Represent the station at public events
– Communications / Broadcast Journalism or equivalent degree is favorable but NOT required / station provides on-the-job training for some skills
– Ability to carry 20-30 lbs. of equipment
– Good driving record/willingness to drive to shoots
– Knowledge of proper use of social media in covering news (Facebook Live, Twitter, TikTok, etc.)
– General interest in news / current events
– Some background with filming sports highlights
– Ability to accept constructive criticism as a way to improve and grow as a journalist
– Willingness to collaborate with team members
If you feel you’re qualified and want to work with a great group of people go to https://gray.tv/careers#currentopenings, you may type in the job title, station call letters, or click on "apply now", upload your resume, cover letter, and references
(Current employees who are interested in this position can apply through the Gray-TV UltiPro self-service portal)
KGNS-TV/Gray Television Group, Inc. is a drug-free company
Gray Television provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Gray Television complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Gray Television expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Gray’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Gray Television encourages all new employees to be fully vaccinated against the coronavirus virus prior to or by the first workday.
HOW TO APPLY
If you feel you’re qualified and want to work with a great group of people go to https://gray.tv/careers#currentopenings, you may type in the job title, station call letters, or click on “apply now”, upload your resume, cover letter and references.