KWES– TV, NewsWest 9, is looking for a Producer for our innovative newscasts. Our producers are more than show stackers – they seek out and produce engaging and impactful content. They also have a strong knowledge of digital storytelling. The ideal candidate is an energetic, passionate storyteller and communicator, who excels at planning, researching, and writing segments and stories.
The right person will be responsible for producing our newscast, while working collaboratively with the talent, and the production team to lead the overall direction of the show. NewsWest 9 producers must be able to produce a 30-minute newscast with an understanding of what makes it special and unique when compared to other shows of the day. Our producers must have the ability to pivot quickly for breaking news. The ideal candidate embraces new technology and is willing to explore new ways to present a newscast. We hope to find someone who can skillfully use social media and digital tools to research, discover, write, and produce content. NewsWest 9 producers are team players who thrive on winning every day.
• Must contribute to daily story selection and bring ideas to the table
• Proven experience producing engaging, content-driven newscasts and digital content
• Strong social media skills, with an active news hound presence
• Knowledge of ENPS and Edius preferred
• Must be a creative, forward-thinker and have excellent news judgment
• Able to write compelling copy that is clear and concise and come to work every day with a vision for your newscast
• Must be an excellent leader for the newscast
• Skilled in stacking and timing a show
• Able to maintain a level of calm during intense pressure situations, without letting the integrity of the newscast suffer
• Able to handle assignment desk duties when needed including phone, news gathering, crew coordination and other duties as assigned.
• College degree in Journalism, Mass Communications or related field.
• At least one year of professional producing experience preferred but will consider entry level.
• Solid news background with experience covering breaking news.
• Experience with video editing.
• Demonstrated ability to engage audience with outstanding leads and writing.
• Highly motivated individual with creative and aggressive approach to driving results.
• Ability to work independently and multi-task confidently under tight deadlines.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule, including nights, weekends and holiday shifts if needed.