KARE 11, TEGNA’s NBC affiliate in Minneapolis/St. Paul seeks a curious, creative, and ambitious news producer for evening newscasts. A producer who wants to dig into our extensive toolkit to create an energetic newscast that informs, inspires, and impacts audiences in one of the top markets in the country.
Our show producers create interesting and informative newscasts, with an emphasis on the use of video, graphics, conversational writing, and innovative formats.
The ideal candidate will share innovative ideas for daily content, while maintaining close attention to detail. This producer must be able to write concisely and execute the goals of the newscast with near perfection, while also meeting tight deadlines.
Applicants must have major, breaking news experience, strong editorial judgment, newscast producing expertise and fully understand the needs of our audience across all our platforms.
• Supervise editorial content & daily rundown changes
• Pitch story ideas for day of, next day and future
• Write in an exciting, captivating, conversational, and authentic manner
• Oversee all in-show graphics and show titles
• Adept using social media and digital tools to discover & research stories, using reliable sources
• Use creative production techniques such as graphics and new forms of media to enhance stories
• Preview accuracy of upcoming video & graphics
• Preview upcoming stories, packages and segments
• Time show effectively and communicate with anchors, reporters and other talent on time cues/roll cues
3 – 5 years
• BA/BS in journalism, communications or related
• Minimum of 3 years’ experience producing/line producing for newscasts.
• Exceptional news judgement and ability to visually tell stories
• Editorial experience in fast-paced newsroom environment
• Ability to anticipate and respond quickly to change
• Experience calmly handling live, breaking news situations, and changing events
• Proven experience producing engaging, content-driven newscasts and digital content
• Strong social media skills, including an active news hound presence on Twitter and Facebook.
• Must be willing and able to work flexible hours
• Possess ability to develop story ideas, research and plan segments
• Excellent broadcast communication skills
• Knowledge of ENPS preferred
• Organizational skills and the ability to work under constant time sensitive deadlines
Travel: Rarely: less than 10%
Work Environment Set: Office: normally performed in a typical interior/office environment.
Physical Demands Set: Sedentary work: Involves sitting most of the time; walking, lifting, bending, standing, etc.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 64 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit http://www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information. TEGNA complies with all applicable laws related to accommodations.