About Gray Television:
Gray Television is a leading media company that owns and operates high-quality stations in 113 television markets that collectively reach 36 percent of US television households.
We constantly strive for excellence. Through upgrading to the latest technology and seeking new ways to stay on top in our markets, we focus on training and development of the best and brightest employees in the business.
KMOT-TV is the NBC affiliate in Minot, North Dakota, and the only locally-broadcast 6 and 10 p.m. newscasts in North Central North Dakota. A job at KMOT is a learning experience unlike any you'll find in a classroom–here, you'll get to shoot, write, and edit your own material, while receiving feedback and coaching from veteran journalists who monitor your progress. Our viewers have come to depend on our news team to be quick, and fair and accurate, from the first tweet and post, to the nightly wrap-up and anchor explainer, you'll get all the news.
The News / Sports MMJ position at KMOT is a full-time, hourly position based out of Minot, North Dakota. This person reports during the week for KMOT and its sister affiliates (KFYR, KUMV, KQCD, West Dakota Fox) across central and western North Dakota and eastern Montana, with a primary focus on North Central North Dakota.
Duties/Responsibilities include (but not limited to):
– Write, shoot, edit stories
– Assist with coverage of sports during busy times of the year (preps football, hockey, basketball, etc.) may include filming game highlights, fronting highlights live in studio or the field, reporting on teams, etc.
– Roughly 80%/20% split, covering news/sports, respectively
– Use social media as a way to enhance reporting
– Research story ideas/plan ahead
– Assist with producing if needed
– Participate in editorial meetings
– Maintain a flexible schedule that allows for being called in after hours if news breaks
– Assist team members in planning coverage of major events (festivals, etc.)
– Represent the station at public events
– Communications / Broadcast Journalism or equivalent degree is favorable but NOT required / station provides on-the-job training for some skills
– Ability to carry 20-30 lbs. of equipment
– Good driving record/willingness to drive to shoots
– Knowledge of proper use of social media in covering news (Facebook live, Twitter, TikTok, etc.)
– General interest in news / current events
– Some background with filming sports highlights
– Ability to accept constructive criticism as a way to improve and grow as a journalist
– Willingness to collaborate with team members
Interested applicants may go to https://gray.tv/careers#currentopenings, you may type in the job title, station call letters, or click on "apply now", upload your resume, cover letter and references
(Current employees that are interested in this position can apply through the Gray-TV UltiPro employee portal)
KMOT-TV/Gray Television Group, Inc. is a drug-free company
Gray Television provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Gray Television complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Gray Television expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Gray’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Gray Television encourages all new employees to be fully vaccinated against the coronavirus virus prior to or by the first workday.
HOW TO APPLY
If you feel you’re qualified and want to work with a great group of people go to https://gray.tv/careers#currentopenings, you may type in the job title, station call letters, or click on “apply now”, upload your resume, cover letter and references.