KOIN 6 TV/Portland’s CW, a Nexstar Inc. owned CBS and CW duopoly in Portland, Oregon is looking for a newscast producer in a top-25 market that’s become one of the most popular cities in the country to live. We offer a competitive salary, attractive benefits, and collaborative work environment.
JOB SUMMARY: The producer delivers and contributes accurate, visual, news content across all media platforms. The ideal candidate has worked as a successful producer and knows how to present news that gets our viewers’ attention. We want a smart, passionate, and creative thinker who writes conversationally.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for evaluating stories and organizing them into a cohesive sequence within a newscast.
- Write strong, active copy that matches video.
- Oversee production and timing of broadcast.
- Contribute story ideas to the editorial process, work collaboratively with reporters, and make solid decisions in breaking news situations.
- Monitor postproduction processes to ensure accurate completion of details.
- Write, produce, and edit material that appeals to target audiences.
- Research production topics using the internet, video archives, and other information sources.
- Execute strategies that engage and grow audiences across all digital devices.
- Contribute to digital and social platforms as needed.
- Must be able to interact well with anchors, reporters, videographers, news managers, production and engineering staff.
- Detail oriented.
- Excellent verbal, written, grammar and analytical skills.
- Strong news judgment, journalistic integrity and understanding of viewer needs and expectations.
- Knowledge of media production, communication and dissemination techniques and methods, including alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Ability to meet quality standards for service & evaluate customer satisfaction.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: Bachelor’s Degree (TV/film or equivalent experience may substitute) + 2 (two) years’ experience in television broadcast/production.
TRAINING/EQUIPMENT: Utilize state-of-the-art television technology; MS Outlook, E-mail.
Work Environment/Physical Requirements: High stress environment with deadline pressures and the demands of breaking news, which can happen at any time. Position will require day-to-day multi-tasking, as well as managing multiple projects simultaneously with frequent change in direction and priority. Must be willing to work weekends (Saturdays and Sundays), as well as be able to work any and all shifts as necessary, including overnights/early mornings, nights, and holidays.
The employee in this position must be able to sit, conduct telephone conversations, use electronic mail, write letters and memos, conduct face-to-face discussions with individuals or groups, make decisions without supervision, make decisions that impact the results of co-workers, work near others, and work indoors in environmentally controlled conditions. Repetitive movements are required. Work may be conducted in extremely bright or inadequate lighting conditions.
NOTE: This job description contains the basic requirements for the position and is NOT intended to be a complete list of responsibilities; other duties may be assigned.
ABOUT US: Broadcasting since 1953, KOIN-TV is Portland’s CBS affiliate, providing exceptional local news content on air and online (koin.com), CBS Network programming and syndicated entertainment to viewers across Oregon and SW Washington. KOIN News is Watching Out for You with 51 hours of local news broadcasts each week, featuring award-winning, in-depth investigations, news, weather, traffic, KOIN News AM-Extra and Game-On! KOIN-TV is a Nexstar Media Group, Inc. television station serving Oregon and SW Washington from its studios in downtown Portland, OR. Nexstar is the largest local television broadcast and digital media company in the nation with 200 broadcast stations (including partner stations) in 116 markets reaching approximately 68% of US television households. Today, as one of the most powerful and trusted voices in America, Nexstar remains true to its mission to uphold the public interest principles of localism, diversity, and trustworthy, unbiased broadcast journalism. At the same time, the company continues to simultaneously raise its commitment to support the evolving needs and interests of the local viewers, hometown businesses and community organizations that it proudly serves each day.
If you like wild growth and working with happy, enthusiastic over-achievers, you'll enjoy your career with us.
KOIN is an equal opportunity employer that seeks diversity in our workforce. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
KOIN values the contribution of its employees. We recognize their efforts by offering a competitive compensation plan and an array of benefits, including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(K), and more. We are committed to a drug and alcohol-free workplace. Any job offer is conditional upon satisfactorily completing a background and DMV check.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply online at: https://nexstar.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/nexstar