About Gray Television:
Gray Television is a leading media company that owns and operates high-quality stations in 113 television markets that collectively reach 36 percent of US television households.
We constantly strive for excellence. Through upgrading to the latest technology and seeking new ways to stay on top in our markets, we focus on training and development of the best and brightest employees in the business.
WOWT is a modern facility equipped with state of the art technology, and with our leading broadcast news we provide award winning local news coverage, dedicated community service, and effective marketing solutions for area businesses. Omaha is one of the most progressive cities in the Midwest with a strong market supported by several national industries. The Omaha area boasts an array of top attractions that can’t be matched, from the World Famous Henry Doorly Zoo, to the NCAA Men’s College World Series. Omaha is popular for our downtown which is home to a revitalized riverfront and the Historic Old Market.
WOWT News Director will supervise all news programming and personnel and establishes policies for standards and practices within the News department. Provides long-term strategic vision for the News department and protects the journalist integrity of the station.
Duties/Responsibilities include (but not limited to):
– Plan and supervise news coverage, weather coverage and the production of newscasts and special news programming
– Set and disseminate standards and expectations for news employees
– Work in conjunction with other department managers to accomplish overall station mission and goals
– Review daily newscasts to ensure quality control and well-balanced newscasts
– Prepare and control news budget for operating and capital expenditures
– Create and implement strategic plans for audience growth
– Analyze and respond to trends affecting industry and DMA
– Take a lead role in research and marketing strategy
– Build and maintain key relationships to foster a positive news image within the community
– Approve all newsroom and operations personnel decisions
– Responsible for building, training and empowering an effective newsroom management team and staff
– Perform performance reviews for direct reports and ensure other news/operations managers conduct performance reviews
– Responsible for effectively communicating departmental goals and plans, and ensures those plans are carried out by managers and staff
– Maintain a high level of confidentiality
– Protect and defend journalist integrity of the news product.
– Effectively promote and execute collaborate efforts between other Gray properties
– Plan and supervise digital, social abd CTV operations and coverage
– Perform other job-related duties as assigned
– BA in Journalism
– At least 3 years newsroom experience
– Proficient in Excel, Word and PowerPoint
– Ability to write and edit for conversational news delivery
– Demonstrated ability to coach for excellent performance
– Strong knowledge of current events
– Strong knowledge of standards of journalism and television and digital news production
– Ability to communicate clearly to employees and to the general public
– Broad knowledge of newsroom operations and equipment
– Working knowledge of journalistic ethics, libel and privacy laws
– Ability to manage multiple tasks in a fast paced deadline driven environment
– Ability to plan and maintain operational budget
– Excellent written and oral communication skills
– Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with multiple tasks and deadlines
– Strong leadership skills; addresses conflicts quickly and directly, and encourages open dialogue
– Ability to adapt to current and emerging technology
– Must have strong problem-solving skills
– Must have good organizational and time management skills
– Ability to work independently with little supervision
– Strong initiative and attention to detail required
– Ability to remain positive and foster a positive work environment
– Must be willing to work flexible hours
– Ability to get along with others and communicate effectively with employees at all levels of the organization
– Ability to represent the station in public in a positive and professional manner
If you feel you’re qualified and want to work with a great group of people go to https://gray.tv/careers#currentopenings, you may type in the job title, station call letters, or click on "apply now", upload your resume, cover letter and references
(Current employees that are interested in this position can apply through the Gray-TV UltiPro employee portal)
WOWT-TV/Gray Television Group, Inc. is a drug-free company
Gray Television provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Gray Television complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, and transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Gray Television expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Gray’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
As a condition of employment, Gray Television will require that newly hired employees, whether part-time or full-time, be fully vaccinated against the coronavirus by the first workday to the extent permitted by applicable law unless you qualify for a medical or religious accommodation.
HOW TO APPLY
If you feel you’re qualified and want to work with a great group of people go to https://gray.tv/careers#currentopenings, you may type in the job title, station call letters, or click on “apply now”, upload your resume, cover letter and references.