About Gray Television:
Gray Television is a leading media company that owns and operates high-quality stations in 113 television markets that collectively reach 36 percent of US television households.
We constantly strive for excellence. Through upgrading to the latest technology and seeking new ways to stay on top in our markets, we focus on training and development of the best and brightest employees in the business.
WMTV is the NBC affiliate and Gray Television-owned station serving south central Wisconsin. We are the #1 station—leading the market in news and weather coverage– and we are recognized for sharing information with accuracy and immediacy on our digital platforms.
We work hard and take pride in getting it right. For four years in a row, WMTV was honored as the Wisconsin Broadcasters Association “News Operation of the Year” (in 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022).
What’s better than working at the #1 station in the nation’s #1 city? Join our award-winning team and live, work, and play in a community that is consistently named one of the best places to live in America. We are just 1.5 hours from Milwaukee, 2.5 hours from Chicago, and 5 hours from Minneapolis/St. Paul.
WMTV, the NBC and CW affiliates in Madison, Wis., has an immediate opening on our award-winning news team. Join the #1 rated and best team in the market as our next Weekend Evening Anchor. The top candidate will join our award-winning team as our next Weekend Evening Anchor/Reporter. You will also report as an MMJ three weekdays.
This is a high-profile position that requires initiative, leadership, and flexibility. You must have versatility in your reporting and be able to cover everything from breaking news to features. The ideal candidate must be able to: mine for content, scope out new information, find and develop sources.
You will work with speed and accuracy when it comes to gathering and verifying facts, shooting and editing video, and writing. You must have exceptional reporting skills and strong, live delivery, news judgment and ethics. NBC15 is a multi-platform organization and qualified candidates will excel in traditional television storytelling, as well as digital innovation. Previous experience is preferred.
Other duties/responsibilities will include (but not be limited to):
• Work with a sense of immediacy independently and as a team. It is our culture.
• Develop sources within the community to gain unique, “Only On” insight and reports on important and impactful issues.
• Strong research skills, ability to employ critical thinking skills to dig and go “beyond the press release” and/or confirm incoming news tips via email or social media.
• Work with a sense of immediacy independently and as a team.
• Write and post copy daily on all digital platforms as new information is learned throughout your shift. This includes NBC15.com, social media, our news app, and OTT products.
• Execute a daily digital plan tailored to your assignment and long-term projects. This includes posting to social media throughout your shift, identifying opportunities for live streaming on our website and Facebook, getting breaking news, and live and user-generated content into our newscasts to our News Now Desk.
• Understand our DMA, key target audiences, and where they live.
• Mentor, guide, and give storytelling and producing feedback to new hires.
• Have the desire to win and the ability to reflect on your work and apply feedback.
• Minimum two years of newsroom experience, preferred. A college degree in journalism or related field.
• The ideal candidate will also have experience in investigative and data-driven journalism.
• Must have an established and responsible presence on digital platforms, including station website, social media, and OTT.
• Understanding of and adherence to AP Style (on digital platforms) and broadcast writing for television.
• Excellent communication skills (written and verbal), proven news judgment, ethics, and integrity.
• Strong work ethic, organizational and leadership skills. Must be able to work quickly, make deadlines, multi-task, and show composure, especially during breaking news.
• Ability to work long hours/overtime, weekends, and overnights as needed for breaking news and specialized coverage.
• Must be able to carry 35+ pounds of gear, and be experienced in shooting and editing unique content. All of our anchors are expected to MMJ. We do have photographers to partner with on appropriate assignments.
Qualified, interested applicants may go to https://gray.tv/careers#currentopenings, you may type in the job title, station call letters, or click on "apply now", upload your resume, cover letter, and references
(Current employees who are interested in this position can apply through the Gray-TV UltiPro self-service portal)
WMTV-TV/Gray Television, Inc. is a drug-free company
Gray Television provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Gray Television complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Gray Television expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Gray’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Gray Television encourages all new employees to be fully vaccinated against the coronavirus virus prior to or by the first workday.
HOW TO APPLY
If you feel you’re qualified and want to work with a great group of people go to https://gray.tv/careers#currentopenings, you may type in the job title, station call letters, or click on “apply now”, upload your resume, cover letter and references.