13News Now/WVEC, the Tegna-owned ABC affiliate in Norfolk, Virginia, is looking for an experienced, energetic, and enterprising Reporter/Multi-Skilled Journalist.
13News Now is committed to innovation while producing outstanding journalism. We want someone who can bring lead stories to the table daily, who isn’t afraid to tackle breaking news, and who will hold the powerful accountable and is a strong enterprise storyteller.
The ideal candidate should have experience finding, developing, and pitching several quality news stories every day; shooting, writing and editing assigned stories under strict deadline pressure; and presenting stories in a captivating and authentic manner.
• Develop story ideas, write, shoot and edit news stories for digital platforms and television broadcast.
• Write in an exciting, captivating and authentic manner.
• Develop original content through social listening and independent sources.
• Deliver on-air news events in an engaging, exciting, and accurate manner.
• Write and post daily on all digital platforms, including social media.
• Use creative production techniques such as graphics and new forms of media (user-generated content, social media comments/posts, etc.) to enhance stories.
• BA/BS in journalism, communications or related field
• 2-5 years of experience preferred
• Ability to generate creative, engaging, content-driven live shots
• Strong social media skills and presence
• Understanding of the principles of professional journalism
• A portfolio with examples of strong breaking news reporting
• Knowledge of ENPS, Edius, and Axis graphics a plus
• Organizational skills and the ability to work under constant time pressure deadlines
• Ability to calmly handle live, breaking news situations and changing events
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 63 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit http://www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information. TEGNA complies with all applicable laws related to accommodations.
HOW TO APPLY