Job Description and Responsibilities
KPNX is seeking a Multi-Skilled Journalist (MSJ) who knows the art of storytelling on television and digital platforms. We want journalists who want to dig and find enterprise hard-news stories. You must be able to shoot, write, and edit, there are times when you would be paired up with a photographer. Should be a strong communicator who can report news live and/or in a pre-recorded format.
- Enterprise stories and bring unique pitches to the table, focusing on ways to add context and perspective and include diverse voices. We want stories that stand out from the competition, not follow it.
- Develop story ideas, write, shoot and edit pieces in an exciting, unique, and creative manner that feels authentic to you
- Use the latest editing and photography tools to tell great stories.
- Develop original content through social listening, crowdsourcing, and independent sources.
- Deliver on-air news events in an engaging, exciting, and accurate manner.
- Interview news subjects and research for facts and credibility.
- Develop news sources that allow you to break stories.
- Operate news vehicle to and from various locations.
- Write and post several times a day on all digital platforms including social media.
- Write for the web, including attaching images and streaming video and live news events.
- Use creative production techniques such as graphics and new forms of media (viewer pictures, webcam interviews, etc.) to enhance stories.
- Community and/or talent appearances
- Perform other tasks as required by supervisor or executive producer.
3 – 5 years
- BA/BS in journalism, communications or related field
- 3-5 years of experience preferred.
- Experience in photojournalism, editing, and content management systems.
- Understanding of the tenets of professional journalism
- A portfolio with examples of strong storytelling
- Ability to generate creative, engaging, content-driven live shots.
- Strong social media skills, including an active news presence on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram
- Knowledge of ENPS and Edius a plus
- Organizational skills and the ability to work under constant time pressure deadlines.
- Ability to calmly handle live, breaking news situations and changing events.
- Work Environment: Moderate risk
- Physical Demands: Medium work
- Travel: Rarely: less than 10%
- Work Environment Set: Moderate risk: involves moderate risks or discomforts that require special safety precautions
- Physical Demands Set: Medium work: Involves standing prolong hours, stooping, bending, lifting/pushing up to 25 lbs.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 64 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit http://www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information. TEGNA complies with all applicable laws related to accommodations.