FOX West Texas in San Angelo is looking for a Multiskilled Journalist in Abilene, Texas. The ideal candidate thrives in a fast-paced news environment, excels with a flexible work schedule, must be a stickler for grammar and have attention to details of stories that affect West Texas. A sense of urgency to get information to the public is pivotal. Journalism experience and the ability to produce clean copy is required. This MSJ is a detail-oriented fact finder, strategist and writer who will use strong and informed news judgement to discover and create original content for FOX West Texas and they can pivot and prioritize as needs in the Abilene newsroom change and adapt.
Overall duties include LIVE reporting, original content producing, copy editing as well as monitoring news tips and using strong news judgement to identify the best Abilene-focused stories we should cover as a station. MSJs will also help monitor what’s trending locally and nationally while working with other TEGNA stations.
This position is a hybrid reporter/anchor position. The MSJ/Anchor will work closely with a point person at San Angelo’s HQ but must have an ability to work independently. The ability to go LIVE daily, under deadline pressure, is a must.
- Write and publish stories to all FOX West Texas digital/mobile/social platforms
- Report news accurately and update as it unfolds, with strong breaking news skills
- Anchor a live segment daily
- Record a LIVE-LOOK segment daily
- Post ALL stories to the website in a timely manner
- Work with all newsroom departments on content coverage, broadcast-digital coordination and social listening
- College Journalism degree or similar field, such as English or Communications
- Outstanding interpersonal, organizational and time-management skills
- Strong writing, editing and proofreading skills
- Excellent critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Ability to prioritize and manage assignments with an ability to work well with varied personalities within deadlines
- Understanding of media ethics as well as fair and unbiased reporting practices
- Experience with content management systems, YouTube, Google Trends and analytics software are a plus
Physical Demands: Light work
Travel: Occasionally: 10-25%
Work Environment Set: Office: normally performed in a typical interior/office environment
Physical Demands Set: Light work: Involves sitting most of the time, walking, lifting, bending, standing, etc.