WLTX-TV in Columbia, S.C. is looking for a talented meteorologist to join our team as Weekend Evening Meteorologist/MSJ. The Southeast is a severe weather region with no shortage of events to forecast, cover and inform our viewers about, focusing on the impact to The Midlands of South Carolina. Accuracy in weather forecasting is the most important thing and for the 12th year in a row, the News19 weather team has earned the WeatherRate seal of approval for "Most Accurate Forecast" in our market.
Our team is committed to winning weather coverage with "No-hype" weather branding.
The ideal candidate for this position must have a passion for winning on big weather days and getting creative when the weather is calm. The person hired will be responsible for delivering accurate, engaging weather reports in a measured and conversational manner. You'll forecast severe weather, ice, hail and even snow; extreme heat and localized flooding are also frequent in this market.
As part of this position, you will also pitch and generate weather-related stories and report on them several days of the week, while embracing social media tools for expanding weather coverage and storytelling.
- Provide accurate and compelling weather forecasts on multiple platforms
- Produce clean, creative, and informative graphics to tell the weather story
- Prepare and deliver severe weather updates, interrupting regular programming as necessary for weather events
- Front stories live from the field or studio with a strong on-camera delivery and the ability to ad-lib
- Pitch and craft stories
- Develop contacts and sources within the community to help with original weather storytelling and breaking weather reporting
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Bachelor of Science degree in Meteorology or Atmospheric Science is required
- Strong communication skills (written/oral) for on-air delivery.
- Minimum of two years of on-air experience is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to provide accurate weather forecasts using the latest weather technology in a multi-platform environment.
- Proven ability to work under pressure while meeting daily assigned deadlines
- Ability to interact productively & positively within different environments
- Applicable knowledge of multi-platform news gathering tools and resources
- Must actively participate in social media, including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
- Ability to write, shoot and edit stories
- Knowledge of WSI
Work Environment: Office
Physical Demands: Light work
Travel: Rarely: less than 10%
Work Environment Set: Office: normally performed in a typical interior/office environment
Physical Demands Set: Light work: Involves sitting most of the time, walking, lifting, bending, standing, etc.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 64 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit http://www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information. TEGNA complies with all applicable laws related to accommodations.