WZZM-TV 13 ON YOUR SIDE in Grand Rapids, Michigan is looking for a Meteorologist to join our team. The successful candidate must have a passion for winning severe weather and telling a compelling weather story even on bright sunny days. We are looking for a team player who can help with every aspect of meteorology, from forecasting, to preparing graphics, to reporting in the field, being an integral part of severe weather coverage, and reaching our consumers not only on TV, but also our digital platforms and social media.
The ideal candidate embraces new technology and is willing to explore new ways to present the weather story. Another “must have" is to understand the importance of community involvement by speaking at schools and other community functions.
- Provide accurate and compelling weather forecasts on multiple platforms
- Produce clean, creative, and informative graphics to tell the weather story
- Prepare and deliver severe weather updates, interrupting regular programming as necessary
- Front stories live from the field or studio with a strong on-camera delivery and the ability to ad-lib
- Pitch and craft stories for WZZM 13 ON YOUR SIDE, wzzm13.com, and our streaming platform 13+
- Develop contacts and sources within the community to help with original weather storytelling and breaking weather reporting
1 – 3 years
- Bachelor of Science in Meteorology
- Strong communication skills (written/oral) for on-air delivery
- Minimum of 1 year of on-air experience is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to provide accurate weather forecasts using the latest weather technology in a multi-platform environment.
- Proven ability to work under pressure while meeting daily assigned deadlines
- Ability to interact productively & positively within different environments
- Applicable knowledge of multi-platform news gathering tools and resources
- Must actively participate in social media, including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
- Knowledge of WSI preferred
- Travel: Rarely: less than 10%
- Work Environment Set: Office: normally performed in a typical interior/office environment.
- Physical Demands Set: Sedentary work: Involves sitting most of the time; walking, lifting, bending, standing, etc.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 64 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit http://www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information. TEGNA complies with all applicable laws related to accommodations.