WBIR, the NBC affiliate in Knoxville, TN, is looking for an engaging, experienced, social media savvy weekend Meteorologist/Multiskilled Journalist. Qualified applicants must have a meteorology or similar degree, at least two years of on-air television experience, and the ability to work in fast-paced, team atmosphere. The ideal candidate will have experience studying, analyzing, forecasting and communicating severe weather along with an understanding of a broad range of technology. The ideal candidate will also pitch and generate weather-related stories for WBIR-TV and WBIR.com, while embracing social media tools for expanding weather coverage and storytelling. Candidate must also have knowledge of being a Multiskilled Journalist and capable of reporting as needed.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Research, prepare and deliver weather content in newscasts and across all platforms utilizing all available weather data, graphics computers and radars both in-studio and in the field
• Write & post stories on social media platforms
• Knowledge of shooting, writing and editing stories
• Present on-air with clear, concise, and interesting weather graphics
• Prepare and deliver severe weather updates, interrupting regular programming as necessary
• Create digital and social weather content multiple times a day with differentiated weather segments for broadcast
• Interact with audiences on multiple platforms, especially during severe weather events
• Communicate and guide weather content plans for aggressive, accurate weather coverage when our consumers need it
• Four-year college degree in Meteorology or Atmospheric Science.
• 1-3 years' experience
• Demonstrated experience writing, reporting, shooting, and editing video
• Strong communication skills (written/oral) for on-air delivery
• Ability to work under pressure while meeting daily assigned environments
• Knowledge of WSI preferred. Be proficient at posting content to various websites and social media; computer literacy required, including weather and newsroom computer systems.
• AMS and/or NWA Seal of approval preferred but not required.
• Applicable knowledge of multiplatform newsgathering tools and resources including digital media
• Valid driver’s license and good driving record
• Fill in on other shifts when necessary.