Do you have a passion for presenting weather in an engaging and captivating way? Look no further! WTHR, the NBC affiliate located in Indianapolis, Indiana, is currently searching for a skilled and enthusiastic Meteorologist to lead our weekend evening weather coverage. At WTHR, we don't just report the weather; we take pride in our "Weather Aware" brand and aim to provide our viewers with the most comprehensive and accurate weather coverage possible. As a member of the Tegna family, we are committed to keeping our audience informed and safe.
Weather has a significant impact on our daily lives beyond just numbers and charts. The people of Central Indiana rely on us to showcase how weather affects their daily lives. Your ability to create engaging stories that highlight the importance of weather will leave a lasting impression on our viewers.
• Research, prepare, and deliver weather content in newscasts and across all platforms utilizing all available weather data, graphics computers and radars both in-studio and in the field
• Write & post stories on social media platforms.
• Present long-form presentations when our area is threatened by tropical storms or other severe weather
• Present on-air with clear, concise, and interesting weather graphics
• Prepare and deliver severe weather updates, interrupting regular programming as necessary
• Create digital and social weather content multiple times a day with differentiated weather segments for broadcast
• Interact with audiences on multiple platforms, especially during severe weather events
• Communicate and guide weather content plans for aggressive, accurate weather coverage
3 – 5 years
• Bachelor of Science in Meteorology or Atmospheric Science required
• Strong communication skills (written/oral) for on-air delivery
• Minimum of 3 years of on-air experience is preferred.
• Demonstrated ability to provide accurate weather forecasts using the latest weather technology in a multi-platform environment
• Exceptional online and social media skills
• Knowledge of Baron preferred
• AMS Seal preferred
• Be available to work a flexible schedule, including weekends and holidays, and fill-in when necessary
Travel: Rarely: less than 10%
Work Environment Set: Office: normally performed in a typical interior/office environment
Physical Demands Set: Sedentary work: Involves sitting most of the time; walking, lifting, bending, standing, etc.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 64 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit http://www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information. TEGNA complies with all applicable laws related to accommodations.