Job Description and Responsibilities
12News is seeking a creative, dynamic, and energized consumer reporter to join our award-winning I-Team. This reporter would investigate consumer complaints, scams and schemes, and work with our investigative unit to expose waste, fraud, and financial abuse.
The ideal candidate will tell these important stories with an innovative edge, helping our viewers understand complex topics to protect themselves from increasingly sophisticated scams.
- Investigate consumer complaints and uncover financial news that impacts our community
- Engage with viewers to open a pipeline of story tips and ideas
- Research and write compelling stories with a consumer focus and financial edge multiple times per week, including on deadline
- Conduct well-researched and engaging interviews, including accountability interviews
- Write and post clear and creative digital stories, including on social media platforms
- Participate in 12News community events
- Perform other tasks as required by supervisor or executive producer
- Enterprise stories and bring unique daily pitches to stand out from the competition
- Write, shoot and edit stories using the latest editing and photography tools, graphics and video to tell great stories
- Ability to report live in an engaging, clear and accurate manner
- Respond and investigate viewer emails and tips
- Operate news vehicle to and from various locations.
- Write and post several times a day on all digital platforms including social media.
- Write for the web, including attaching images and streaming video and live news events.
- Community and/or talent appearances
- Perform other tasks as required by supervisor or executive producer.
3 – 5 years
- Experienced journalist with a portfolio of strong storytelling
- Ability to generate creative content, including live shots
- MMJ skills required, including photojournalism and editing
- Demonstrated ability to report live in a clear and accurate manner
- Strong social media skills, including an active news presence on social media platforms
- Organizational skills and the ability to work under deadline
- Operate news vehicle to and from various locations
- BA/BS in journalism, communications or related field
- 3-5 years of experience preferred.
- Experience in data analysis
- Ability to calmly handle live, breaking news situations and changing events.
- Travel: Rare/less than 10%
- Physical Demands Set: Medium work: Involves standing prolong hours, stooping, bending, lifting/pushing up to 25 lbs.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 64 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit http://www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information. TEGNA complies with all applicable laws related to accommodations.