About Gray Television:
Gray Television is a leading media company that owns and operates high-quality stations in 113 television markets that collectively reach 36 percent of US television households.
We constantly strive for excellence. Through upgrading to the latest technology and seeking new ways to stay on top in our markets, we focus on training and development of the best and brightest employees in the business.
KHNL/KGMB/KFVE/Telemundo Hawaii – Hawaii News Now! KGMB (CBS) KHNL (NBC) K5 and Telemundo Hawaii collectively make up Hawaii News Now, the state’s dominant multimedia news organization with the largest digital news footprint in the islands. HNN’s parent company is Gray TV, a leading digital media and broadcasting company. Located in beautiful Honolulu, Hawaii, Hawaii News Now is the home of 12 streams of diverse content.
The ideal candidate will be an effective leader able to inspire and coach a team of journalists. The EP will be an aggressive breaking news leader with creative problem-solving abilities. They will be a member of the news management team and will work to develop and execute key newsroom initiatives.
Duties/Responsible for (but not limited to) the following:
• Manage content and staff of 15+ for 4.5-hour morning newscast!
• Help identify and direct new content; work with producers to create factual, compelling, and creative coverage on-air and on our digital platforms.
• Create daily coverage plans as well as developing coverage plans for severe weather and big stories.
• Ability to react quickly and accurately to breaking news as it is a key pillar of strength for our Sunrise newscasts.
• Fluency in multi-platform coverage.
• Must maintain a working knowledge of current events and community issues.
• Ability to articulate your vision for the newscasts on all platforms as well as with the entire team and news managers.
• Fact-checking, strong editorial judgment, and excellent writing and proofreading skills are a must.
• Able to handle the decision-making process quickly, accurately, and calmly during the on-air process.
• Be able to positively coach and help teammates grow their skill sets in a nurturing way.
• Work with other station managers on strategic station goals and initiatives
• 3+ years’ experience as a newsroom leader.
• Strong news judgment.
• Able to manage, mentor, and lead a team.
• Lead by example.
• Strong communication with the News Director, Assistant News Director, and Digital Content Manager as well as station leadership as needed.
• Work to add high production values inside the newscasts.
• Driving and injecting Breaking News into these newscasts is critical with LIVE video and new information from local, to national and international events.
• Ability to write clearly and accurately and edit video.
• Create compelling and memorable story coverage.
• A willingness to work flexible hours and possess the ability to work well with co-workers.
• Ability to handle and adjust accordingly to last-minute changes.
• Strong initiative, self-starter, and attention to detail.
• Ability to be on top of local, national, and international news & weather.
• Understand and follow the journalistic code of ethics.
Interested applicants can go to https://gray.tv/careers#currentopenings, you may type in the job title, station call letters, or click on "apply now", we encourage you to upload your resume and cover letter
(Current employees who are interested in this position can apply through the Gray-TV UltiPro self-service portal)
KHNL-TV/Gray Television, Inc. is a drug-free company
Gray Television provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Gray Television complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Gray Television expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Gray’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Gray Television encourages all new employees to be fully vaccinated against the coronavirus virus prior by the first workday.
HOW TO APPLY
If you feel you’re qualified and want to work with a great group of people go to https://gray.tv/careers#currentopenings, you may type in the job title, station call letters, or click on “apply now”, upload your resume, cover letter and references.