KENS 5, the CBS affiliate in San Antonio, has a one-of-its-kind opportunity for a cutting-edge journalist to join our innovative team as our Digital MMJ / Digital Producer. We’re looking for a creative and focused communicator who will thrive both in front of the camera anchoring streaming news updates and on our digital platforms writing news and feature content for our local audience.
Responsibilities: You'll be part of the KENS 5 digital team as you produce our digital products and appear on camera for digital streams:
- You'll help us innovate as you create new streaming video content from KENS 5's Digital Center studio.
- You’ll be in front of the camera to anchor digital streaming event coverage, both live news and recorded specials.
- You'll use your editorial experience to produce informative written breaking news content for all platforms.
- You'll spread your creative wings and work on great stories, videos and “deep dives” to engage our digital audience.
In this role, you will be responsible for the following duties:
- Developing, publishing and updating content for KENS5.com, the KENS 5 app and our social media platforms.
- Researching, creating and integrating original content, including text, images, video and social media.
- Writing and producing breaking news stories and launching live streams for web and social platforms.
- Appearing in news reports and other streams created for audiences on KENS5.com, KENS 5+ and YouTube.
- Participating in news meetings and working with news staff to develop digital content opportunities.
- Understanding and achieving metric goals for platform visitors, video views and audience retention.
1 – 3 years
- College degree in journalism, mass communications or marketing.
- At least two years of professional digital content production experience strongly preferred.
- Solid digital news background with ability to cover breaking news.
- Experience appearing on camera as a news or digital reporter.
- Demonstrated ability to reach the audience with engaging headlines and social media posts.
- Strong understanding of AP Style, including ability to rapidly edit and/or rewrite stories.
- Highly motivated individual with creative and aggressive approach to driving digital results.
- Ability to work independently and multi-task confidently under tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise news judgment under pressure.
- Experience working with a digital content management system.
- Experience with editing in Adobe Premiere and Photoshop.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including regular weekend shifts and some holidays.
Qualified journalists should submit the following materials:
- Cover letter telling us about your aspirations as a digital journalist.
- Resume describing how your professional experience and education fits this role.
- Links to examples of your on-camera appearances (individual clips or your reel.)
- Links to examples of your work as a digital producer, particularly headlines and social media.
Travel: Occasionally: 10-25%
Work Environment Set: Office: normally performed in a typical interior/office environment
Physical Demands Set: Sedentary work: Involves sitting most of the time; walking, lifting, bending, standing, etc.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 64 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit http://www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information. TEGNA complies with all applicable laws related to accommodations.