Job Description and Responsibilities
KVUE, TEGNA’s ABC affiliate in Austin, Texas, is searching for a Digital Director who will serve as a member of the KVUE management team and spearhead the creation and publication of engaging and compelling news content across digital, mobile, app, OTT and social media platforms.
This includes, but is not limited to, breaking news coverage, special project content, franchise support, social media, text/email updates/alerts/contests, and various digital revenue products available to our audience on KVUE.com, mobile apps, social and voice platforms.
The visionary journalist will work closely with the News Director to prioritize and set short and long-term goals and serve as primary liaison for digital sales and marketing project implementation. This person will play a key role in charting the station’s digital content and growth strategy.
The ideal candidate must have an eye for detail, love to lead and provide feedback to a team hungry to win.
- Manage the digital content team in both news and programming and lead digital strategy to grow multi-platform content, audience and engagement
- Be the voice of innovation in the newsroom and inspire others to follow your lead
- Lead our content teams to develop workflows that deliver our content 24/7 across current and future platforms with storytelling that is optimized for each screen
- Analyze and actively use data and metrics to inform editorial and strategic decisions and to create accountability for results
- Actively partner with the news director and marketing director as One Content Team to lead a cohesive cross-platform strategy
- Oversee all station efforts on social media including Facebook, X (Twitter), Instagram, YouTube, and other emerging platforms.
- Lead the content team in identifying new content types and innovative technologies that help us reach and serve new audiences
- Create unique, engaging, and shareable content
- Teach, coach, and mentor our content teams in best practices for writing and producing content for digital and social platforms
- Skillfully use social media and digital tools to research, discover and distribute content
- Collaborate with content leaders across TEGNA to maximize the sharing of our content and leverage innovation and best practices among stations
- Hold newsroom employees accountable to KVUE/TEGNA ethical and editorial standards
5 – 7 years
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or equivalent experience in the field
- 3-5 years of content experience, including at least 2-3 years managing other digital journalists
- Solid journalistic judgment and a news philosophy that emphasizes accurate, fair and unique local content, along with community engagement
- A deep understanding of SEO best practices for articles, images and video
- Ability to calmly handle live, breaking news situations and keep up with the rapid pace of news
- Knowledge of online CMS and news production systems along with social newsgathering tools like CrowdTangle and Social News Desk
- Experience analyzing audience data and identifying behavioral trends. Chartbeat and Google Analytics experience, a must
- Passion and vision for emerging media
- Strong organizational, leadership and communication skills
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Travel: Rarely: less than 10%
- Work Environment Set: Office: normally performed in a typical interior/office environment
- Physical Demands Set: Sedentary work: Involves sitting most of the time; walking, lifting, bending, standing, etc.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 64 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit http://www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information. TEGNA complies with all applicable laws related to accommodations.