Job Description and Responsibilities
Do you love knowing the news of the day first? Do you hate getting beaten? Do you want to work in a fast-paced newsroom, covering a market where the stories you work are continuously part of the national conversation?
WFAA, TEGNA’s acclaimed ABC affiliate in Dallas, is seeking a Digital Content Producer who can write, create and produce exciting content for its many digital platforms. The right person for this job is an aggressive reporter with strong news judgement, an agile thinker with the ability to react quickly to changing circumstances and an exemplary writer who wants to make our audiences smarter – and do it with style.
The ideal candidate will have a multitude of talents, including the ability to edit video, create graphics and track down information through interviews, public records searches and social media postings. Our high-performing team regularly and skillfully utilizes various digital tools to research, discover and distribute content. They’re strong writers and great teammates who work hard to optimize the news consumer’s experience across all screens. They craft compelling headline, push alert and social copy. They discover and produce quality content through social listening and by staying plugged into the community in real life. They are competitive and tightknit, working on the front lines of the newsroom, breaking news every day while scratching their creative itches at the same time. They are driven by results and by pride alike.
This is a job that will give you back as much as you put in. It reports to the Director of Digital Content.
- Discover, research, create and distribute audience-focused, engaging content across all WFAA platforms through articles, videos, photo galleries, social media posts, push alerts, livestreams and interactive elements
- Edit reporter-produced articles for accuracy, grammar, narrative balance and storytelling quality
- Use various tools to monitor social chatter and track trending stories, and share those findings with the whole newsroom
- Urgently, aggressively and accurately report breaking news as it happens, utilizing all methods of distribution
- Increase content consumption by using best practices for search engine optimization, website curation, app notifications and advanced social media distribution
- Collaborate with all newsroom workgroups on reporting stories, coordinating multiplatform coverage and more
- Uphold journalistic integrity and deliver on the WFAA brand’s promise across all platforms
3 – 5 years
- Degree in journalism, communications or a related field, or equivalent professional experience
- Three to five years of TV, print or digital newsroom experience
- Experience with content management systems and the Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience with digital metrics tools such as Google Analytics, CrowdTangle and Taboola
- A clear understanding of the tenets of professional journalism, as well as high standards of journalistic integrity and ethics
- Strong social media skillset and savvy
- Outstanding interpersonal, organizational and time-management skills
- Demonstrable ability to calmly handle live, breaking news situations and handle the pressure quickly changing events
- A firm grasp of AP style, copy editing and proofreading
- Sound news judgment and ability to work both autonomously and as part of a team.
- The ability to adhere to brand guidelines and standards
- Must be able to work flexible hours, including mornings, weekends, holidays and overtime as needed
- Applicants must take and pass a writing/copy editing test.
- This is not a remote position.
- Travel: Rarely: less than 10%
- Work Environment Set: Office: normally performed in a typical interior/office environment
- Physical Demands Set: Sedentary work: Involves sitting most of the time; walking, lifting, bending, standing, etc.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 64 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit http://www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information. TEGNA complies with all applicable laws related to accommodations.