KTVB, a TEGNA station in Boise, Idaho, and the area’s dominant local news source, is looking for an investigative Digital Content Producer to join our team. The ideal candidate has a great attitude, accurately writes breaking news articles, thrives in a fast-paced environment and is eager to work on the cutting edge of television, digital and social media. Candidates with experience in investigative journalism and court reporting are preferred. This producer is a digital reporter and writer who will use strong news judgement to find and produce original content for KTVB’s platforms including digital, social media, and broadcast. Journalism experience and the ability to produce clean copy is required. Grammar nerds are preferred, as this position includes copy editing colleagues’ work. This producer must enjoy collaboration and be a creative thinker who thrives on interacting with our audience and working in a team atmosphere. This role involves working closely with our award-winning anchors and reporters to accurately create and publish content. Duties include copy editing, writing SEO-friendly headlines, moderating user-generated content and assignment editor duties including monitoring news tips, and using strong news judgement to identify the best stories we should cover for KTVB.COM and TV. They will also help monitor what’s trending locally and nationally while working with other TEGNA stations, especially our Northwest sister stations. Employees who work hard and prove themselves to be “rising stars” may have opportunities for upward mobility within KTVB or TEGNA’s network of over 50 local newsrooms across the US. KTVB’s content reaches the audience whenever and wherever they are – on television, desktop, mobile web, our apps, streaming, the KTVB YouTube channel, Facebook, Twitter/X, or through our Instagram Stories. KTVB has been honored with regional and national RTDNA National Murrow Awards for our innovative storytelling, the latest in 2022. Preferred candidates will have the ability to work a flexible schedule when needed.
• Tracking and covering court cases, filing public records requests, developing sources, investigating possible leads and tips
• Working as part of the 7 Investigates team
• Help cover daily news content for KTVB’s digital and social platforms including making calls following up on news releases, writing web articles, clipping video, and managing live streaming
• Report news quickly and accurately as it happens online, with an emphasis on creating the best reader experience while also winning Google Search traffic
• Post photos and other content to KTVB.COM, Facebook, Twitter/X, YouTube, Instagram
• Monitor real-time analytics, such as Taboola Newsroom, to maximize reader engagement and learn what kind of stories our audience is interested in
• Efficiently scour the internet and social media for viral or impactful stories our community cares about
• Help with monitoring text messages, e-mails and adding story tips to the daily planner.
• Outstanding interpersonal, organizational, and time-management skills
• Journalism experience, including knowledge of the criminal justice system and court procedures
• Strong writing and copy-editing skills
• Excellent communication skills
• Ability to prioritize and manage assignments and requests from various sources with an ability to work well with varied personalities within deadlines
• Understanding of media ethics as well as fair and unbiased reporting practices
• Experience with video production, YouTube channels, non-linear editing software, Search Engine Optimization or using audience tracking tools are a huge plus
Work Environment: Office
Physical Demands: Sedentary work
Travel: Rarely: less than 10%
Work Environment Set: Office: normally performed in a typical interior/office environment
Physical Demands Set: Sedentary work: Involves sitting most of the time; walking, lifting, bending, standing, etc.