About Gray Television:
Gray Television is a leading media company that owns and operates high-quality stations in 113 television markets that collectively reach 36 percent of US television households.
We constantly strive for excellence. Through upgrading to the latest technology and seeking new ways to stay on top in our markets, we focus on training and development of the best and brightest employees in the business.
WBTV was the first television station to sign on in the Carolinas and is considered the “most trustworthy source of news and information” in the area according to research. WBTV First Alert Weather is the certified most accurate forecast for the market as measured by WeatheRate. Being “On Your Side” for viewers, clients and the community is the guiding principle of WBTV and helps drive its award-winning newscasts and quality local journalism. Visit http://www.wbtv.com to learn more.
The Assistant News Director is responsible for making sure the department is delivering high-impact local news content, innovating multi-platform storytelling, and creating tactics and strategies to increase ratings performance in key target areas for multiple platforms. The ideal candidate must have strong editorial judgment, leadership skills, a working knowledge of community issues and needs, and demonstrate sound journalistic principles. The Assistant News Director collaborates with the News Director to execute a yearly action plan based on market research and WBTV's strategic planning goals.
Duties/Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
– Responsible for the day-to-day news editorial decision-making and long-term planning of news content across all platforms.
– Oversees the development, production, and scheduling of our targeted special reports, which includes enterprise reporting.
– Experience with rating analysis and a strong understanding of how to implement a new action plan based on market research.
– Proactively and effectively coordinates and communicates big event coverage plans such as elections, debates, and community-based special projects.
– Supervises and schedules personnel including on-air talent
– Responsible for recruiting and retaining top talent
– Forward-thinking leader who helps execute branding initiatives across all platforms
– Collaborates with all station departments, media partners, and community leaders
– Bachelor's degree in journalism or related field preferred, equivalent experience considered
– Minimum 3 years of management experience required, 5 years preferred
– Must exhibit an understanding of broadcast, digital, social, and streaming platforms
If you feel you’re qualified and want to work with a great group of people go to https://gray.tv/careers#currentopening, you may type in the job title, station call letters, or click on "apply now", upload your resume, cover letter, and references
(Current employees who are interested in this position can apply through the Gray-TV UltiPro self-service portal)
WBTV-TV/Gray Television, Inc. is a drug-free company.
Gray Television provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Gray Television complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, and transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Gray Television expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Gray’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Gray Television encourages all new employees to be fully vaccinated against the coronavirus virus prior by the first workday.
HOW TO APPLY
If you feel you’re qualified and want to work with a great group of people go to https://gray.tv/careers#currentopenings, you may type in the job title, station call letters, or click on “apply now”, upload your resume, cover letter and references.