Do you like to have your hands in everything? Be the center of attention? Then the assignment desk at WUSA9 in Washington, DC is the place for you. We are looking for an assignment planning editor to take center stage on the content discovery desk to take the lead on keeping the newsroom ahead of the breaking news, identifying exclusive content, planning special event coverage and keeping our connections alive in the community.
The ideal candidate is an experienced journalist with experience in field reporting or producing. You are adept at generating story ideas for this unique market, you have strong news judgment, and are effective at collaborating with staff across all dayparts. You contribute to story ideas, advance developing stories and collaborate with the leadership team on daily news-gathering efforts.
You will be thinking equally about our content on TV and our digital platforms.
This is a role for someone who thrives in a high-energy position and has a keen ability to balance multiple tasks under pressure.
This position is on the assignment desk, but the ideal candidate will be able to fill-in as-needed with gathering information, delivering content on digital platforms, answering phones, listening to police scanners, bringing in live shots from various sources and live streaming. The position is responsible for assigning and dispatching crews, assisting crews with contacts, and research.
Must be a strong writer and copy editor with excellent editorial judgment, time management and multi-tasking skills, with the ability to prioritize and re-prioritize quickly.
A successful candidate will also help enterprise news through beat calls, social media and cultivated sources.
• Strong assignment editor/writing skills
• Working in multiple content management systems
• Strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task
• Ability to identify stories that could go viral
• Ability to work with reporters to develop assigned stories
• Working under tight deadlines
• Gathering information
• Delivering content on digital platforms
• Listening to police scanners
• Ability to verify confirmed information during breaking news situations
• The position is responsible for assigning and dispatching crews, assisting crews with contacts and research and publishing original content to the website.
• Must be a strong writer and copy editor with excellent editorial judgment, time management and multi-tasking skills, with the ability to prioritize and re-prioritize quickly.
• Enterprise news through beat calls, social media and cultivated sources
• Ability to prioritize and manage requests from various sources and work well with varied personalities on deadline
• Excellent in managing news crews and news judgment
• Outstanding interpersonal, organizational, and time-management skills
• Bachelor’s degree preferred; equivalent experience required
• 7 to 10 years experience preferred
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 64 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit http://www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information. TEGNA complies with all applicable laws related to accommodations.