KSDK 5 On Your Side, TEGNA’s NBC affiliate in St. Louis, is seeking an Assignment Manager who will lead and organize the station's assignment desk. The ideal candidate is extremely organized and makes crucial editorial decisions in a timely manner. This person is a leader who acts quickly, confidently, and calmly to ensure we are in the right place at the right time. This person must also have excellent judgment in responding to breaking news and be ready to drop everything to make sure our response is robust and comprehensive.
You must be a leader in editorial meetings and conversations, including pitching stories. You will be expected to review and respond to news releases, news tips, emails, user generated content and social media messages to identify unique, local and engaging content. You will create and maintain systems to make sure our station contact lists are up-to-date and develop relationships with Public Information Officers (PIOs) and other spokespersons of agencies across the area. This person will work with digital managers, newsroom leaders and all producers to coordinate the development and distribution of content across all editorial platforms.
As Assignment Manager, you will work with One Content Team leadership, broadcast producers, multi-skilled journalists, photographers and anchors as you manage the desk. This position reports to the Managing Editor.
We believe our newsroom culture sets 5 On Your Side apart because of our news managers’ strong commitment to our employees’ professional growth, training, regular feedback, and mentoring. If you're a great teammate who seeks a collaborative newsroom culture, we want to hear from you.
– Lead and organize the station’s assignment desk.
– Train others on the skills needed to run the assignment desk.
– Effectively communicate with crews in the field at in the station.
– Ensure proper deployment of crews and that we are responding to the day’s most critical stories.
– Use digital and social analytics to inform editorial decisions.
– BA/BS in journalism, communications, or related field.
– 5-10 years of experience on an assignment desk preferred. Must have ability to calmly handle live, breaking news situations and changing events.
– Experience with content management systems, a plus
– Knowledge of Edius and ENPS, a plus
– Strong social media skills, including an active news hound presence on Twitter and Facebook.
– Basic image and video editing skills preferred.
– Ability to work a flexible schedule, including weekend, night and holiday shifts
– Familiarity with St. Louis, preferred, but relevant experience in other markets will be strongly considered
– Travel: Rarely: less than 10%
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 63 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit http://www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information. TEGNA complies with all applicable laws related to accommodations.