ABC24/CW30, the TEGNA station in Memphis, TN, is searching for an Assignment Editor?who is curious about the world and has a vision for what local news can and should be for multiple platforms.
The ideal candidate?will?have experience newsgathering, deploying crews and tracking multiple things at once. This person also has solid news judgment, creative writing skills and strong copy-editing skills. They also will have an "audience first"?approach to producing and distributing content that meets consumers where they are.
Assignment Editors are leaders in our newsroom who urgently and aggressively cover breaking and developing stories. This position is for a person who is passionate about local news and connecting people with a track record of presenting hard news with the balance of many voices and perspectives.
• Gather and share story updates, tips and information internally
• Review and respond to news releases, news tips, emails, user-generated content and social media messages to identify unique, local and engaging content
• Do all necessary reporting efforts to turn information into digital content, such as make calls, get pictures or video to support a story, research and confirm information, etc.?
• Focus on accuracy and balance in stories through editing and working with reporters
• Work with urgency to publish and broadcast breaking news and update as needed
• Be a leader in editorial meetings and conversations, including pitching stories
• Use digital and social analytics to inform editorial decisions
• Monitor social media for breaking news, find interesting stories, track trends and report findings to newsroom
• Work with digital managers, newsroom leaders and all producers to coordinate the development and distribution of content across all editorial platforms
• Collaborate with other TEGNA stations and other partners to search trending content and publish compelling stories, photos and video from our corporate network across web, mobile and social media platform
• 2-5 years of experience on an assignment desk or digital team preferred.
• Understanding the tenants of professional journalism.
• Organizational skills and the ability to work under constant time pressure deadlines,
• Ability to calmly handle live, breaking news situations and changing events.
• Experience with content management systems.
• Knowledge of Google Analytics, Sharablee, Edius or ENPS a plus.
• Strong social media skills, including an active news hound presence on Twitter, Facebook, Nextdoor.
• Basic image and video editing skills preferred.
• Knowledge of the AP Stylebook preferred.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule, including weekend, night and holiday shifts.
Work Environment: Office
Physical Demands: Sedentary work
Travel: Rarely: less than 10%
Work Environment Set: Office: normally performed in a typical interior/office environment
Physical Demands Set: Sedentary work: Involves sitting most of the time; walking, lifting, bending, standing, etc.