Job Description and Responsibilities
WZZM 13 ON YOUR SIDE is looking for an experienced, engaging and enterprising journalist to join our team as an Anchor and Multiskilled Journalist!
The successful candidate must be deeply committed to local news; be a natural competitor – wanting to consistently break lead stories and love covering breaking news and weather. In addition, they must be an excellent storyteller, developer of sources and understand the news cycle extends to multiple platforms: someone who is willing and able to create unique and shareable stories for all platforms.
Our ideal candidate is a digitally savvy team member who can create innovative content for our community. In this role, you’ll be responsible for anchoring newscasts as well as reporting during the week. The reporting and anchoring will both require establishing sources, pitching unique enterprise story ideas, strong writing and news judgement skills. You’ll also be required to engage with the community both through your social media accounts and at community outreach events.
- Anchor afternoon and evening newscasts and fill-in anchoring and reporting as assigned
- Work with producers to create an engaging newscast, write and copy edit to improve all content every day.
- Generate unique, compelling and innovative story/show ideas and content
- Excellent, creative presentation and writing skills a must
- Excellent use of social media for news gathering and community engagement
- Cultivate sources
- Find enterprise stories and tell them in a way that brings topics and characters to life.
- Contribute to multiple platforms on a daily basis including writing for the website and posting on social media.
- Collaborate with a team to produce the most creative, compelling stories
- Develop contacts and relationships in the community
5 – 7 years
- Journalism or Mass Communication degree preferred with five years of experience preferred
- Strong on-camera delivery with the ability to ad-lib
- Embraces team-approach to successfully accomplish tasks
- Excellent writing, packaging, and live skills
- Ability to shoot and edit
- Knowledge of ENPS and Edius (editing) a plus
- Must be able to report in a broad range of styles with good on-air presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure
- Specialized reporting experience (investigative) a plus
- Travel: Occasionally: 10-25%
- Work Environment Set: Office: normally performed in a typical interior/office environment
- Physical Demands Set: Sedentary work: Involves sitting most of the time; walking, lifting, bending, standing, etc.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 64 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit http://www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information. TEGNA complies with all applicable laws related to accommodations.