KREM/KSKN, the TEGNA station in Spokane, WA, has an immediate opening for a Weekend Sports Anchor/MSJ to join our great team. This is an exciting time to cover sports in the Inland Northwest!
The right person will be a creative storyteller who excels in this age of digital journalism. The ideal candidate is someone who is the ultimate sports fan and can convey their enthusiasm to the Spokane audience. We are not looking for someone to simply read scores and highlights.
Candidates should submit a link to a video resume reel as well as examples of social media posts that showcase journalism and personality. This is a full-time, hourly position that reports to the Assistant News Director.
- Possess knowledge of professional, college and high school sports
- Ability to build relationships with sports partners and athletes
- Ability to find character-driven sports storytelling opportunities
- Interview subjects and research for facts and credibility
- Ability to shoot and edit packages, VO/SOTs and VOs, live shots and live interviews
- Skilled at anchoring weekend sports coverage
- Deliver on-air sports content, under deadline, in an engaging, compelling and accurate manner
- Create written and video content for station’s digital products and social media platforms
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Operate news vehicle to and from various locations
- Perform other tasks as required by leadership team
- BA/BS in journalism, communications or related field
- 1-3 years of on-air experience preferred
- Experience in photojournalism, editing and digital content management systems
- Understanding the tenants of professional journalism
- A portfolio with examples of strong sports and breaking news reporting
- Ability to generate creative, engaging, content-driven live shots
- Strong social media skills, including an active presence on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram
- Knowledge of ENPS, Edius and Axis graphics preferred
- Organizational skills and the ability to work under constant deadlines
- Ability to calmly handle live, breaking news situations and changing events
- Ability to work different shifts and be regularly scheduled to work weekends
- Travel: Rarely: less than 10%
- Work Environment Set: Outdoors: performed in various outdoor environmental conditions
- Physical Demands Set: Medium work: Involves standing prolong hours, stooping, bending, lifting/pushing up to 25 lbs.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 63 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit http://www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information. TEGNA complies with all applicable laws related to accommodations.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value the benefits of diversity in our workplace.