- Aggressively confirm information about breaking news and dispatch crews with urgency
- Publish content to website and social media accounts.
- Enterprise news stories
- Assemble daily news plans, including reporter/photographer assignments using ENPS
- Work closely with newsroom leadership to plan appropriate staffing for daily and future news gathering
- Proactively vet incoming news tips and coordinate story gathering
- Coordinate with producers and station engineers on live shots via ENG and dejero, including executing Facebook Live, YouTube livestream and website livestreams.
- Develop and maintain lists of contacts at public agencies, major businesses, nonprofit organizations and other influential entities and individuals.
- Monitor law enforcement and emergency responder scanner traffic to alert the newsroom to breaking news.
- Monitor digital chatter and real-time tools to alert the newsroom to content opportunities.
- Monitor important news stories for developments in a beat-system style
- Represent CBS8 in conversations with other media organizations about pool coverage and access issues.
- Coordinate sharing of resources with other stations in the TEGNA group
- Be curious about new technologies and tools that could improve the assignment process.
- Coordinate and dispatch the CBS8 shared news helicopter
- BA/BS in journalism, communications or related field
- 3 years of experience required
- Experience in a newsroom
- Strong social media and digital writing skills
- Strong news judgement skills
- Strong organizational skills and ability to write clearly and effectively.
- Understanding the tenants of professional journalism
- Knowledge of digital breaking news tools a plus
- Knowledge of ENPS, Edius and Axis graphics a plus
- Ability to calmly handle live, breaking news situations and changing events
- Comfortable meeting multiple deadlines per day
- Flexible with shift assignments
- Great interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively and timely
- Sense of urgency with breaking news
- Travel: Rarely: less than 10%
- Work Environment Set: Office: normally performed in a typical interior/office environment
- Physical Demands Set: Light work: Involves sitting most of the time, walking, lifting, bending, standing, etc.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 64 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit http://www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information. TEGNA complies with all applicable laws related to accommodations.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value the benefits of diversity in our workplace.