At KING 5 we stand for truth. The Tacoma Bureau Chief will lead our coverage of the Puget Sound region's second-largest city, and greater Pierce County. Covering the city and county will require a reporter who can jump easily from politics and transit stories to coverage of environmental and wilderness issues. The successful candidate will have the knowledge and confidence to ask accountability questions of elected officials, as well as civic and business leaders. The Tacoma Bureau Chief must live in Tacoma or somewhere within Pierce County.
Pierce County is also home to Joint Base Lewis-McChord and thousands of soldiers, airmen and their families, so the bureau chief must be someone comfortable covering military issues.
Covering breaking news crime stories is part of the job, but we want a reporter in this role who can look beyond the day's headlines to pitch enterprise stories on a broad range of topics.
The bureau chief should be someone comfortable with managing a planning calendar and schedule. The person in this role could find himself or herself working dayside some weeks, then shifting to nights or mornings to cover a different set of stories. The bureau chief will collaborate with other KING reporters on stories, sharing research and tips to ensure comprehensive coverage to serve the audience in this fast-growing part of KING's viewing area.
- Collaborate with news director and assistant news director on a strategy for covering Tacoma and Pierce County.
- Investigate leads and tips, conduct interviews, research stories, write and edit news stories
- Create web content, meet publication or broadcast deadlines, and report on newsworthy events
- Collaborate with KING's award-winning photojournalists on storytelling projects for digital and broadcast
- Maintain story calendar and pitch impactful, newscast-leading stories.
- The candidate must live full-time in Tacoma/Pierce County.
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, political science and/or equivalent experience.
- Five years or more years as a broadcast reporter in a large market or seven or more years in a mid or small market.
- Track record of quality journalism and highest integrity and ethical decisions.
- Strong writing skills, both for broadcast and digital platforms.
- Ability to calmly handle live, breaking news situations and changing events.
- Active presence on social media sites (e.g. Instagram, Facebook, Twitter) and experience working with digital video software and hardware.
- Comfort with using the tools – both equipment and software – that are standard for broadcast journalists.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is a media company innovating in the digital age. Our purpose is to serve the greater good of our communities – through empowering stories, impactful investigations and innovative marketing services.
As one of the most geographically diverse broadcasters in the U.S., TEGNA is a best-in-class operator with 62 television stations (including those serviced by TEGNA) and four radio stations in 51 markets from coast to coast. We are the largest owner of Big Four affiliates in the top 25 markets and reach 41.7 million television households, or 39 percent of all TV households nationwide. Each month, TEGNA reaches 50 million adults across our digital platforms. Across Twitter, Facebook and Instagram, TEGNA stations have over 31 million social followers.
TEGNA produces trusted, impactful and innovative content across platforms. We tell stories that matter, are an advocate for those in need and help bring positive change to our communities. Our award-winning journalists have been recognized with numerous national honors including Edward R. Murrow, Alfred I. duPont, George Foster Peabody, George Polk, Walter Cronkite and Emmy awards.
TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks, Justice Network and Quest, which offer unique ad-supported programming. Justice Network is focused on the popular true-crime, mystery and investigation genre, while Quest features factual-entertainment programs such as science, history, and adventure-reality series.
TEGNA also provides local and national partners custom, targeted and innovative campaigns through TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS). TMS is a one-stop shop that helps businesses thrive through an unmatched suite of services and solutions that reach consumers across television, email, social and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service.
In everything we do, we are driven by our strongly held values and our stated purpose to serve the greater good of our communities.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value the benefits of diversity in our workplace.