KVUE-TV is looking for a great sports journalist to join our team in the number one city in America to live – Austin, Texas! In addition to the Texas Longhorns and Texas A&M Aggies, the Austin area now has its first major professional team – Austin FC, and is home to some of the best high school athletes in America.
We need a great storyteller who will also excel in the digital age. The successful candidate will be able to create unique and shareable stories for all platforms through memorable writing, photography, and editing as well as a strong on-camera presentation.
- Produce and anchor unique sportscasts that break through the traditional “sports for sports fans” approach.
- Develop story ideas, write, shoot and edit sports stories for on-air broadcasting as well as digital posting.
- Write in an exciting, captivating and authentic manner.
- Use the latest editing and photography tools to tell great stories.
- Develop original content through social listening and independent sources.
- Deliver on-air live sports events in an engaging, exciting, and accurate manner as both a reporter and anchor.
- Interview sports subjects and research for facts and credibility.
- Develop sports sources for general assignment and special areas of interest.
- Produce sports stories that are unique and captivating.
- Operate newsgathering vehicle to and from various locations.
- Write and post daily on all digital platforms including social media.
- Shoot, write and edit packaged reports.
- Write for the web, including attaching images and streaming video.
- Use creative production techniques such as graphics and new forms of media (viewer pictures, webcam interviews, etc.) to enhance stories.
- Transmit and present exciting live reports with current technology.
- Perform other tasks, including writing, shooting, editing and reporting/anchoring news stories as required by supervisor.
- BA/BS in journalism, communications or related field
- A strong natural on-camera presentation and an interesting style.
- At least 2 years experience preferred
- Experience in photojournalism, editing, and content management systems
- Understanding the tenets of professional journalism
- A portfolio with examples of strong breaking sports reporting
- Ability to generate creative, engaging, content-driven live shots
- Strong social media skills, including an active sports presence on Twitter and Facebook
- Knowledge of ENPS and Edius a plus
- Organizational skills and the ability to work under constant time pressure deadlines
- Ability to calmly handle live, breaking sports situations and changing events
- Travel: Occasionally: 10-25%
- Work Environment Set: Outdoors: performed in various outdoor environmental conditions
- Physical Demands Set: Medium work: Involves standing prolong hours, stooping, bending, lifting/pushing up to 25 lbs.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 63 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, email, social and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit http://www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information. TEGNA complies with all applicable laws related to accommodations.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value the benefits of diversity in our workplace.