NewsWest 9 (KWES), an NBC affiliate located in Midland/Odessa, Texas has an exciting opportunity for a full-time Sports MSJ! We are looking for an experienced, enterprising sports journalist that knows how to tell a great story. This is a hybrid role that will require anchoring on weekends and fill-in anchor work during the week. The successful candidate will help plan one of the most dynamic Friday night high school football shows in the market. We are searching for someone who understands storytelling is about emotion, great camera work and thoughtful writing. We’re also looking for someone who understands that anchoring isn’t just about reading scripts. The ideal candidate will connect with the community on all platforms. You will be expected to take ownership of your stories, coordinate the stories with producers, set up stories in advance and consistently manage a calendar of stories for shows. The sports MSJ at NewsWest 9 must be a team player. Part of being a team player means this position could be asked to do a story for news, shoot video for news or shoot a live shot for news.
- Write, shoot and edit stories
- Generate unique, compelling and innovative story/show ideas and content.
- Excellent, creative presentation and writing skills a must
- Excellent use of social media for news gathering/disseminating and community engagement
- Cultivate sources
- Contribute to multiple platforms on a daily basis including writing for the website, posting on social media, creating for mobile, and most of all creating a dialog with our audience and your friends and followers.
- Collaborate with a team to produce the most creative, compelling stories
- Develop contacts and relationships in the community, community events that include times outside normal work hours
- Journalism or Mass Communication degree preferred with a minimum of one year of experience as an anchor or MSJ (will consider entry level).
- Strong on-camera delivery with the ability to ad-lib
- Excellent writing, packaging, and live skills
- Ability to shoot and edit using non-linear editing systems
- Must be able to report in a broad range of styles with good on-air presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure.
- Strong social media presence
- BA/BS in journalism, communications, or related field
- Minimum of one year of working in journalism, communications preferred
- Experience in photojournalism, editing and content management systems
- Knowledge of professional journalistic standards as related to on-air, digital and social presentation
- Ability to generate creative, engaging, content-driven live shots, with strong on-air presence and delivery skills
- Strong social media skills, including an active sports presence on Facebook and Twitter
- Knowledge of ENPS (scripting) and Edius (editing) a plus
- Organizational skills and the ability to work under constant time pressure deadlines
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 63 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit http://www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information. TEGNA complies with all applicable laws related to accommodations.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value the benefits of diversity in our workplace.