WNEP-TV, TEGNA’S ABC affiliate in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, has an opening for a talented Reporter and storyteller.
The Reporter will create compelling content for all WNEP platforms, from TV to digital platforms to social media.
The successful candidate should have experience finding, developing, and pitching several quality news stories every day; shooting, writing, and editing assigned stories under deadline pressure; and presenting stories in a captivating and authentic manner.
- Develop story ideas, write, shoot, and edit news stories for digital platforms and television broadcast.
- Write in an exciting, captivating, and authentic manner.
- Use the latest editing and photography tools to tell great stories.
- Develop original content through social listening and independent sources.
- Deliver on-air news events in an engaging, exciting, and accurate manner.
- Interview news subjects and research for facts and credibility.
- Develop news sources for general assignment and special areas of interest.
- Produce news stories that are unique and captivating.
- Write and post daily on all digital platforms, including social media.
- Use creative production techniques such as graphics and new forms of media (user-generated content, social media comments/posts, etc.) to enhance stories.
- Transmit and present exciting live reports with current technology.
- Perform other tasks as required by supervisor or executive producer.
- BA/BS in journalism, communications, or related field
- 1-3 years of experience
- Experience in photojournalism, video editing, and content management systems
- Understanding of the principles of professional journalism
- A portfolio with examples of strong breaking news reporting
- Ability to generate creative, engaging, content-driven live shots
- Strong social media skills, including an active news hound presence on Twitter and Facebook
- Knowledge of ENPS, Edius and Axis graphics a plus
- Organizational skills and the ability to work under constant time pressure deadlines
- Ability to calmly handle live, breaking news situations and changing events
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule, including nights, weekends, and holidays
- Travel: Occasionally: 10%
- Work Environment Set: Outside and Office: normally performed in a typical interior/office environment
- Physical Demands Set: Medium work: Involves standing prolong hours, stooping, bending, lifting/pushing up to 25 lbs.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 63 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit http://www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information. TEGNA complies with all applicable laws related to accommodations.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value the benefits of diversity in our workplace.