At KING 5 we Stand for Truth. We are among the first local news stations in the country to launch a unit dedicated exclusively to race and equity reporting. Our Peabody Award-winning Facing Race team is looking for an innovative and experienced reporter who is capable of telling sophisticated stories through a race and equity lens and has the ability to tackle diversity and inclusion issues fearlessly while centering the voices of people of color.
- Research, pitch, and write issue-driven long-form stories aimed at exposing and addressing the documented realities of both historic and modern-day racial injustice in the Pacific Northwest and beyond.
- Develop and maintain a roster of sources, including leading voices on the local and national levels in diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Collaborate with KING’s award-winning photojournalists on storytelling projects for digital and broadcast.
- Fuse creative and innovative storytelling techniques with tough accountability reporting
- Minimum of 5 years on-air experience in a medium or large market
- Strong writing skills for digital and broadcast platforms
- A proven track record of reporting on communities of color with context, depth, and cultural sensitivity.
- Must have an awareness of current movements and trends in racial equity academia and activism.
- Must be well-versed on the intersectionality of race with criminal justice, health, gender discrimination, LGBTQIA+ issues, the environment, politics, and the disability community among other topics.
Additional Or Preferred Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, cultural studies, or related field
- Fluency in a second language is a plus
Compensation and Benefits
We are offering a competitive salary along with benefits such as paid time away from work, health savings account, 401K, paid parental leave, fertility and family planning care, adoption assistance, tuition assistance and student loan refinancing.
This position is full-time, salaried and union.
We are an equal opportunity employer
There's one more, very important thing. We are an equal opportunity employer. We search for amazing people of diverse backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We take care of each other to create an inclusive work environment where we love to come to work every day.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 64 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit http://www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information. TEGNA complies with all applicable laws related to accommodations.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value the benefits of diversity in our workplace.