WJLA-TV is seeking an enthusiastic and highly motivated Producer for our daily program Government Matters, where we have a tremendous number of effective platforms and programs to reach decision-makers and thought leaders in the federal civilian and defense sectors.
The candidate will be responsible for quickly absorbing proposed content features from other members of the editorial team and applying a disciplined methodology to bring these stories to life on our program.
This position will work closely with the managing director, editorial host, and other colleague producers on the tactical execution of upcoming editorial features on our program and ensuring a timely distribution of this content across multiple platforms.
This includes serving as the initial “ambassador” of Government Matters to editorial guest targets, interacting with federal and DOD public affairs officers, booking and confirming guests and cultivating a relationship with these guests after filming has concluded.
The ideal candidate will have knowledge of the federal civilian and defense agency operations, be detail-oriented, have solid news judgment, and be able to multitask and manage their time in order to put together an exciting and informative program. In addition, the candidate must have the ability to work in a fast-paced and deadline driven environment.
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Staying up-to-date on the news cycle of the federal and defense sector through continuous reading of key content resources and analyses
- Participate in programming discussions to contribute original story and guest ideas for the show for consideration by the senior content producer
- Conduct initial outreach to targeted editorial guests for the show and generate enthusiasm for participation in our programming
- Follow up, book and close targeted guests, and properly record their participation in our systems
- Book and manage prep sessions with select guests as needed
- Test and trouble-shoot connectivity of guests that are joining remotely
- Provide regular and reliable logistical information for guests as needed
- Greet guests and provide a positive experience in our studio
- Maintain an active and ongoing relationship with guests after filming has concluded, with the goal of getting them to post their segments on social media channels, and having them return as future guests
- Write scripts
- Add production elements to show, such as ledes, lower-thirds, etc
- Line-produce the show
- Participate in post-filming debrief sessions to identify future goals for the program
- Ensure timely and reliable distribution of the program across our multiple broadcast and digital channels
- Assistant field produce when needed
Ideal candidates will have experience with the following:
- Avid Media Composer (or similar video editing software, such as Adobe Premiere)
- Firm background in and knowledge of the business of federal government – how it works, is organized, policy, IT, cybersecurity, emerging technologies, military/defense.
- Degree in a related field preferred
- Minimum target experience level: 3 years+
HOW TO APPLY
Sinclair Broadcast Group