KCEN and KAGS, the TEGNA-owned NBC affiliates serving Temple, Waco, Killeen and Bryan-College Station, TX, are searching for a motivated and high-performing strategic leader to serve as the next President & General Manager. KCEN and KAGS deliver news and entertainment across a wide variety of platforms, serving the communities of Central Texas. As the leader of this multi-media operation, the President & General Manager, working with the leadership team, is accountable for developing and executing a strategic plan responsive to the operation’s long-term vision. The successful candidate will have a proven track record of recruiting strong performers, nurturing the careers of new journalists, building strong collaborative cultures, achieving financial goals and driving innovation. The position reports to the Vice President, TEGNA Media Operations and operates out of Temple, TX.
- Overall success of the station, with full accountability for content, sales, brand and operations across all platforms.
- Develop short, intermediate and long-range revenue and audience strategies to grow market share and engagement across platforms.
- Define and execute the station’s vision and strategy to ensure KCEN and KAGS are positioned as a leader in the market.
- Be the cross functional leader across news, marketing, sales and engineering to ensure business execution excellence.
- Maximize profit opportunities with core business and digital business by designing and delivering programming that drives ratings and revenue growth.
- Work directly with the sales organization and clients to provide successful customer solutions.
- Develop and manage the annual budgets, including accurate forecasting.
- Identify and deliver opportunities to grow multi-platform content and distribution capabilities.
- Provide leadership in the Central Texas community and build relationships with staff, advertisers and viewers.
- Define talent strategy for station; recruit and retain strong leaders and memorable talent that represent diverse local communities.
- Develop and coach direct reports to build a strong culture of collaboration and accountability.
- Ensure high-potential talent for critical roles are prepared to lead the organization in the future.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, business or related field and 7+ years of strong performance in a leadership position with a multimedia company.
- Experience building high-performing & diverse teams, developing staff and fostering a culture of excellence and ownership.
- Proven track record of successful leadership, innovation and goal achievement.
- Embrace and lead through uncertainty and change to position your team for success.
- Top-notch critical thinking skills and data-driven decision-making capability.
- Excellent judgment, role model and community leader.
- Mastery of planning, prioritizing and achieving financial and strategic objectives.
- Expertise in digital advertising strategies and regular use of digital platforms.
- Learning agility, risk-taking and growth mentality; driven to discover new ways to win audience and grow business.
- Effective communicator and inclusive leader who listens well, takes input from all levels and creates a shared vision.
Travel: Occasionally: 10-25%
Work Environment Set: Office: normally performed in a typical interior/office environment
Physical Demands Set: Sedentary work: Involves sitting most of the time; walking, lifting, bending, standing, etc.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 64 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit http://www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information. TEGNA complies with all applicable laws related to accommodations.