WUSA9 in Washington, D.C. is looking for a highly motivated and skilled photographer to join our news team. We are seeking a photographer who thrives on breaking news and has a passion for fast-paced environment. We're looking for a photographer who yearns to be assigned to the big story of the day. The right candidate should also be an analytical and thougthful person. We want a photographer who participates in our editorial meetings, loves thinking up new ways to cover news, and shows compassion for the people we feature in stories. This photographer will be be responsible for creating content for moblie and broadcast platforms and will work alone, as well as in a team.
In this role, you will:
- Use the latest editing and photography tools to tell great stories.
- Produce original content on-air and on all digital platforms that evoke emotion and tell compelling stories.
- Post daily on all digital platforms including attaching images and streaming video. This must include Social Media.
- Use creative production techniques such as graphics and new forms of media (viewer pictures, webcam interviews, etc.) to enhance stories.
- Contact sources and develop news stories. Cover breaking news, general assignment, sports, feature, investigative, and political news stories. Produce news stories that are unique and captivating.
- Attend editorial meetings, participate in discussions, and suggest story ideas.
- Operate news gathering vehicle to and from various locations.
- Perform other tasks as required by supervisor or executive producer.
- BA/BS in journalism, communications or related field
- 2-5 years of experience preferred
- Experience in photojournalism, editing, and content management systems
- Proven ability to generate creative, engaging, content-driven live shots
- Demonstrated social media proficiency, especially in the field, including an active news hound presence on Twitter and Facebook
- SNG experience a plus
- Demonstrated news judgment, photography experience, and non-linear editing skills
- Must be flexible with schedule, reliable and dependable
- Understanding of the tenets of professional journalism
- Knowledge in non-linear editing systems
- Organizational skills and the ability to work under constant time pressure deadlines
- Ability to calmly handle live, breaking news situations and changing events
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value the benefits of diversity in our workplace.