WUSA9 in Washington, DC is seeking an ambitious, aggressive, motivated, creative and dedicated Sports/News Producer who will oversee elements of a daily television newscast, produce local sports content for multiple platforms, and plan future coverage. A successful candidate must be active on social media and be able to identify potential and emerging sports storylines. At WUSA9, our goal is to have sports be part of the daily news conversation. Long-gone are the days of a dedicated sports block full of old highlights that is in its own silo from news. At WUSA9, coverage of local sports is weaved into our shows. We focus on the people, not the X’s and O’s.
This producer must work well with anchors, reporters, assignment editors, broadcast news producers, digital editors and directors. This producer will be tasked with helping the sports anchor and reporter execute on a shared vision. This includes multi-story sports segments, in-the-field coverage of big events, and in-depth packages.
The producer must be able to step-in as a newscast producer when needed.
- Produce and execute sports stories and segments for TV, digital, streaming and social media.
- Produce live sports commentary shows.
- Plan future event coverage.
- Enterprise sports ideas that set the WUSA9 brand apart.
- Monitor social media for emerging sports storylines.
- Produce newscasts when needed.
- BA/BS in journalism, communications or related
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience producing/line producing for newscasts
- Understanding of the tenets of journalism
- Proven experience producing engaging, content-driven newscasts and digital content
- Strong social media skills, including an active news hound presence on Twitter and Facebook
- Knowledge of ENPS and Edius preferred
- Organizational skills and the ability to work under constant time-sensitive deadlines
- Experience handling live, breaking news situations and changing events
Travel: Rarely: less than 10%
Work Environment Set: Office: normally performed in a typical interior/office environment
Physical Demands Set: Medium work: Involves standing prolong hours, stooping, bending, lifting/pushing up to 25 lbs.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 63 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit http://www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information. TEGNA complies with all applicable laws related to accommodations.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value the benefits of diversity in our workplace.