KCEN is looking for a News and Sports reporter. We want an innovative journalist who can create unique and shareable stories for all platforms through memorable writing, photography and editing.
The ideal candidate will research, gather information, and cultivate sources for news and sports. Qualified candidates must also be able to develop and deliver stories for digital and broadcast platforms.
- Enterprise story ideas, write, shoot and edit stories for television, mobile and social platforms
- Report live breaking news and enterprise stories impacting the Central Texas community
- Deliver on-air sports coverage including live reports, anchoring and story telling
- Travel with sports teams for coverage of major local sports, including college and high school
- Develop relationships with high schools and universities
- Use the latest editing and photography tools to tell great stories
- Develop original content through social listening and independent sources
- Write and post daily on all digital platforms including social media
- Shoot, write and edit packaged reports
- Use creative production techniques such as graphics and new forms of media (viewer pictures, webcam interviews, etc.) to enhance stories
- Transmit and present exciting live reports with current technology
- BA/BS in journalism, communications or related field
- 1-3 years of experience preferred
- Bilingual, (English & Spanish) speaking desirable
- Experience with photojournalism, editing, and content management systems
- Experience anchoring sports or news segments
- A portfolio with examples of strong breaking news and sports reporting
- Ability to generate creative, engaging, content-driven live shots
- Strong social media skills, including an active news hound presence on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook
- Knowledge of ENPS, Edius and Axis graphics a plus
- Organizational skills and the ability to work under constant time sensitive deadlines
- Ability to calmly handle live, breaking news situations and changing events
- Travel: Occasionally: 10-25%
- Work Environment Set: Moderate risk: involves moderate risks or discomforts that require special safety precautions
- Physical Demands Set: Medium work: Involves standing prolong hours, stooping, bending, lifting/pushing up to 25 lbs.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 64 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit http://www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information. TEGNA complies with all applicable laws related to accommodations.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value the benefits of diversity in our workplace.
HOW TO APPLY