WXIA (11Alive), the TEGNA-owned NBC affiliate in Atlanta, Georgia, is looking for a dynamic, innovative, and experienced News Director to lead day-to-day editorial coverage while overseeing content creation and distribution across multiple platforms. This proven leader will embrace our mission to amplify metro Atlanta voices by delivering stories and solutions that speak to the needs of our audience.
We are looking for a leader who embraces research, creative storytelling, and investigative journalism as key components of newscasts as well as digital and social platforms. They will understand that this combination will grow viewership while at the same time serving the greater good of the Atlanta region.
Our ideal candidate is a proven editorial leader with strong news judgment, a deep understanding of compelling storytelling and a passion for innovation. The News Director will work in partnership with the General Manager, Director of Marketing and Digital Content Director. Together, they will oversee all content operations and lead the strategic vision for station audience growth. Qualified candidates must be digitally focused and have a vision for utilizing WXIA’s digital strength to expand the reach of its linear audience.
- Strategically lead, inspire and manage the News Department with a growth mentality
- Lead the newsroom in execution of the station’s brand
- Collaborate with news management, marketing, production, technology and front-line team members to drive the content strategy for the station
- Regularly review newscasts and digital posts to ensure accountability to the content plan and to aid audience growth
- Lead the newsroom in creating unique, engaging and rich storytelling experiences to grow a loyal audience across all platforms
- Direct the newsgathering team to ensure we are serving our audience with urgency and a superb breaking news strategy
- Collaborate with Digital Content Director on editorial strategy for daily content creation and distribution across all platforms
- Be the voice of innovation in the newsroom and inspire others to follow your vision
- Develop and implement workflows that deliver our content 24/7 across current and future platforms with storytelling that is optimized for each screen
- Lead the content team in identifying new content types, innovative formats and tools that help reach and serve new audiences
- Collaborate with content leaders across TEGNA to maximize the sharing of content and leverage innovation and best practices among stations
- Recruit and hire world class journalists for all platforms
- Teach, coach and mentor the newsroom for writing and producing best practices
- Be a trustworthy motivator who fosters an inspiring and inclusive culture
- Hold newsroom employees accountable to TEGNA’s ethical and editorial standards
- Identify and grow future newsroom leaders for promotion within WXIA and TEGNA
- Bachelor’s degree and news leadership experience
- 7-10 years of content experience, including the generation of original content, and 2-3 years managing other journalists with a proven track record of holding people accountable
- Skilled in producing engaging, content-driven newscasts and digital content
- Successful innovative leadership
- Exceptional planning and execution skills
Travel: Rarely: less than 10%
Work Environment Set: Office: normally performed in a typical interior/office environment
Physical Demands Set: Sedentary work: Involves sitting most of the time; walking, lifting, bending, standing, etc.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 63 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit http://www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information. TEGNA complies with all applicable laws related to accommodations.
HOW TO APPLY