WGRZ in resurgent Buffalo, NY is looking for a dynamic, passionate News Director to lead the news team in creating multi-platform content that sets the standard for local coverage. The ideal candidate must have solid journalistic judgement, a keen eye for talent, and the ability to cultivate a positive, inspiring, inclusive culture where creativity thrives. This person should also have a passion for evolving local news.
- Inspire and coach superior, unique and engaging storytelling
- Strategically lead and inspire the news employees.
- Recruit and hire diverse talent in the news department.
- Oversee on-air and digital news content.
- Work closely with the news team to produce relevant, thoughtful, local content that sets the station apart. Prioritize collaboration between television and digital content teams to create original programming and breaking-news coverage for all platforms.
- Foster, encourage and reward innovative thinking.
- Be a strategic thinker, strong communicator, teacher, and collaborator.
- Be a community-minded, journalist with a driving passion to serve audiences and win in the digital world.
- Emphasize the importance of solid research and responsible journalism.
- Skillfully use social media and digital tools to research, discover, and distribute content.
- Maintain an inclusive culture that values different voices.
- Use creative production techniques such as graphics and new forms of media to enhance stories.
- Collaborate with all department heads in a mutual effort to achieve station goals and extend our brand.
- Perform other duties, as assigned, to drive and fulfill the mission while abiding by the values of this organization.
- Foster an environment of creativity, innovation, teamwork and high ethical standards.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- 10+ years of content experience and 5+ years of leadership experience.
- Solid journalistic judgement and a news philosophy that emphasizes accurate, fair, and compelling content, along with community engagement.
- Understanding of the tenets of professional journalism.
- Skills in producing engaging, content-driven newscasts and digital content.
- Strong social media skills.
- Ability to lead, orchestrate and stay calm in breaking news situations and big events.
- Exceptional organizational skills suited for a fast-paced environment
- Travel: Rarely: less than 10%
- Work Environment Set: Office: normally performed in a typical interior/office environment
- Physical Demands Set: Sedentary work: Involves sitting most of the time; walking, lifting, bending, standing, etc.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 63 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit http://www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information. TEGNA complies with all applicable laws related to accommodations.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value the benefits of diversity in our workplace.