WUSA9 is searching for a driven, innovative and thoughtful News Content Director to continue growing the station on all platforms.
The ideal candidate must have an aptitude for recruiting and possess a proven journalistic decision-making skillset. Most importantly, this candidate should have the ability to influence a positive, inspiring and inclusive culture within the department.
- Be a strategic thinker, strong communicator, teacher, and collaborator.
- Oversee on-air content, including station’s breaking news coverage.
- Implement innovative and creative ways for the news department to tell the stories of our community across all platforms.
- Continue to reinforce a culture based on respect, honesty, diversity of voices, best in class and confident but humble.
- Lead a news staff and management team with a willingness to coach and inspire video and digital products that are impactful and unique.
- Regularly collaborate with Director of Marketing and Sales on station initiatives and creative production techniques.
- Work in partnership with all department heads in a mutual effort to achieve station goals and extend our brand.
- Emphasize the importance of responsible journalism and efficiently respond to data and trends in the marketplace.
- Perform other duties, as assigned, that reinforce the station’s brand pillars while abiding by the values of the organization.
- 5-7 years of content experience. Leadership experience is a must.
- Solid journalistic judgement and a news philosophy that emphasizes accurate, fair, and compelling content, along with community engagement.
- Exceptional planning and execution skills.
- Ability to lead big event or breaking news coverage with a steady hand.
- Above-board planning and organizational skills while working in a fast-paced environment.
- Be driven to help our staff continue to learn and grow.
- Be a good human being, fostering an environment that carries high ethical standards.
- TEGNA requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus.
- Travel: Rarely: less than 10%
- Work Environment Set: Office: normally performed in a typical interior/office environment
- Physical Demands Set: Light work: Involves sitting most of the time, walking, lifting, bending, standing, etc.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 63 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit http://www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information. TEGNA complies with all applicable laws related to accommodations.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value the benefits of diversity in our workplace.