KIII-TV in Corpus Christi, Texas, the dominant local news station in South Texas, is looking for a dynamic and engaging WEEKEND MORNING METEOROLOGIST and MULTI-SKILLED JOURNALIST. This person understands the weather conversation our audience is having with friends and how to engage and relate to them, even on bright sunny days. We sit along the Texas Gulf, so forecasting tropical storms and hurricanes in an easy-to-understand way is of the utmost importance.
In addition to the forecasting credentials, the ideal candidate is also a storyteller and ready to shoot, write and edit impactful news stories that reflect and improve our community.
What You’ll Do:
• Provide accurate and compelling weather forecasts on multiple platforms
• Produce clean, creative and informative graphics to tell the weather story
• Prepare and deliver severe weather updates, interrupting regular programming as necessary
• Track the tropics, providing insightful, relevant coverage during hurricane season
• Develop story ideas, write, shoot and edit news stories for all of KIII’s platforms on deadline
• Develop contacts and sources within the community to help with original storytelling and breaking news reporting
• Front stories live from the field or studio with a strong on-camera delivery and ability to ad-lib
Why You’ll Love It:
• Our Viewers – South Texas loves 3NEWS and continues to help us far outpace the competition. It’s much more fun to be working for the number one station because you know everyone is watching.
• Our People – we want this to be a place where people come, learn and grow. You should be able to have fun while helping our community improve lives. We plan to invest in you and your career. We want the station to be successful, but we also want to help you reach your career goals.
• Our City – Corpus Christi is a diverse place to call home. We have more than 315,000 people, larger than cities like Cincinnati, Orlando and Pittsburgh. And you’re never far from the beach. You can live downtown, live in the suburbs or even live on the island, and you’re never more than 15 minutes away from having your toes in the water.
• Ability to work various shifts including early mornings, evenings and weekends
• Bachelor of Science degree in meteorology, atmospheric science or climate science (preferred)
• Knowledge of ENPS for scripting and Edius for editing a plus (preferred)
• Texas/regional knowledge (preferred)
Work Environment: Office
Physical Demands: Sedentary work
Travel: Rarely: less than 10%
Work Environment Set: Office: normally performed in a typical interior/office environment
Physical Demands Set: Sedentary work: Involves sitting most of the time; walking, lifting, bending, standing, etc.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 63 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit http://www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information. TEGNA complies with all applicable laws related to accommodations.
HOW TO APPLY