KGW, the TEGNA NBC affiliate in Portland, Oregon, is seeking a dynamic and experienced Morning Executive Producer who is passionate about the power of morning news and committed to innovation. The executive producer will lead a team of broadcast and digital employees to create compelling and timely content across all platforms.
We want someone who isn’t afraid to think outside the box and challenge the status quo in television news. This person will be a key member of the newsroom leadership team and will work closely with other managers to grow the station’s ratings, brand, and create content with an audience-focused, inclusive journalism strategy. We encourage applicants to watch our “KGW News at Sunrise” shows on YouTube before applying to understand what drives our morning show. Your cover letter should include your thoughts on the show, and ideas you might have for improvements. We are committed to informing our audience, unique storytelling, creative thinking, and innovation. You can see more examples of this innovation in the “Come work for KGW” playlist on our YouTube page.
Our ideal candidate will utilize analytics, social listening, research, and at least 5+ years of news producing/newsroom leadership experience to help make sound editorial decisions for the newsroom. This position will lead our morning content presence and report to the Assistant News Director. This is a full-time, salaried position.
- Coordinates and oversees daily newsgathering efforts in the early morning. Oversees all KGW News at Sunrise newscasts and related shows and programs.
- Assigns daily stories and projects to reporters, anchors, photographers, and digital team and monitors the progress of story development throughout the morning.
- Assigns and oversees medium- and long-term projects and stories.
- Focuses on accuracy and strong writing in our scripts, copy editing and closely working with reporters and producers to create accurate, informative, and engaging content. Approves all on air scripts prior to news broadcasts.
- Aggressively covers breaking news for?all platforms.
- Champions story planning and works with entire team to produce?engaging storytelling through strong writing, visuals, use of sound, graphics, and other production techniques.
- Boldly participates in the newsroom editorial meetings to make editorial decisions.
- Works with editorial team on developing best practices and innovating our newscasts.
- Collaborates with the Content Discovery Center on potential story ideas and planning for both on-air and digital coverage.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, or equivalent experience
- Must have a strong working knowledge of all aspects of newscast production, AP style broadcast writing, and journalistic standards.
- 5+ years producing and showcasing?content?in a newsroom environment, preferably 3+ years in leadership role
- Excellent copyediting skills
- A desire and demonstrated ability to lead other journalists
- Passion and vision for emerging media, ability to pivot based on new technology
- Strong organizational, motivational, and communication skills
- Ability to work and be on call nights and weekends
- Ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines, and lead change
Travel: Rarely: less than 10%
Work Environment Set: Office: normally performed in a typical interior/office environment
Physical Demands Set: Sedentary work: Involves sitting most of the time; walking, lifting, bending, standing, etc.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 64 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit http://www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information. TEGNA complies with all applicable laws related to accommodations.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value the benefits of diversity in our workplace.