WNEP-TV, TEGNA’s ABC affiliate in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, Pa. has an opening for Morning Assignment Editor. This position requires planning and coordination of news coverage in our 17 county DMA in northeastern and central Pennsylvania. Assignment editors make decisions on what stories need to be covered; check phone and email news tips, and check for updates on breaking news and developing stories.
- React quickly to breaking news and move crews effectively
- Manages time and logistics to make sure selected stories are covered efficiently with available staff
- Reviews all news releases, monitors police and fire scanners, and checks social media and other local news sources for story ideas. Must have knowledge of their operations, codes, and basic use
- Makes beat calls to local agencies like police departments, courts, etc.
- Lead long-term story planning, including keeping track of big stories, potential follow ups, and organizing a newsroom calendar
- Provide editorial guidance and manage logistics to execute daily newsroom content
- Use multiple social media platforms to identify stories that will trend well with audiences
- Search and locate criminal and civil document systems to be distributed to news and digital producers
- Maintain knowledge on specific political, community and business leaders
- Understand audience insights and metrics, apply to content planning and execution
- Bachelor’s degree preferred; equivalent experience required
- 1-3 years of experience working as a newsroom assignment editor
- Ability to work a variety of shifts, including nights, weekends, overtime, and breaking news situations as needed
- Strong written and verbal communications, conflict resolution and interpersonal skills
- Travel: Rarely: less than 10%
- Work Environment Set: Office: normally performed in a typical interior/office environment
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 63 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit http://www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information. TEGNA complies with all applicable laws related to accommodations.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value the benefits of diversity in our workplace.