FOX61 in Hartford, CT is looking for a Meteorologist to join our team. The successful candidate must have a passion for winning severe weather and telling a compelling weather story even on bright, sunny days. We are looking for a team player who can help with every aspect of meteorology from forecasting to preparing graphics… to reporting in the field during severe weather coverage and packaging weather explainers. We want someone who meets viewers where they are, not only on TV, but also online and on social media. The ideal candidate embraces new technology and is willing to explore new ways to present weather stories on a daily basis.
- Provides accurate weather forecasts using the latest weather technology in a multi-platform environment
- Writes, edits and reports on weather content from the field or inside the newsroom
- Produces clean and informative graphics to tell the weather story
- Updates website and social media platforms as necessary
- Makes public appearances
- Effectively and positively reflect the station in the community at all times
- Keeps producers and managers informed of upcoming weather conditions for coverage plans
- Bachelor’s degree in Meteorology or Atmospheric Science or certification required. B.S. in Meteorology preferred
- Minimum of 1-3 years of on-air experience as a Broadcast Meteorologist
- Be available to work a flexible schedule and fill-in when necessary
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines in a fast paced and deadline driven environment
- Ability to interpret dual pol radar
- Experience in severe weather coverage and knowledge of industry-standard broadcast weather computer and radar systems
- Demonstrated experience in use of social media and alert systems to disseminate weather information across multiple platforms
- Ability to shoot, write and edit weather-related stories
- Travel: Rarely: less than 10%
- Work Environment Set: Office: normally performed in a typical interior/office environment
- Physical Demands Set: Sedentary work: Involves sitting most of the time; walking, lifting, bending, standing, etc.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 63 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit http://www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information. TEGNA complies with all applicable laws related to accommodations.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value the benefits of diversity in our workplace.