KCEN-TV has an immediate opening for a meteorologist. The right candidate will have strong communication skills, an engaging personality, and a love of weather forecasting. You must have a passion for winning severe weather and telling a compelling weather story with creative graphics even on a hot Texas day.
You’ll have to thrive in a competitive environment and love wall-to-wall weather coverage. This is not just an on-air job. You’ll be responsible for engaging our viewers on all of our digital and social media platforms as well. The applicant needs to embrace new technology and be willing to explore new ways to present the weather story. Community involvement is required including talent appearances.
- One year of on-air weather experience is preferred, along with a college degree in meteorology, atmospheric science, journalism, or a related field.
- Must have knowledge of weather forecasting, computer display systems such as Weather Central or WSI.
- Qualified candidates must have knowledge of high powered radar data in communicating information about active storm systems.
- Must be able to update web and social weather information.
- Ability to stream weather video and weathercast preferred.
- Must handle multiple weather forecasting platforms including television, web, radio, newspaper and mobile-cast.
- Ability to shoot, write and edit stories preferred.
- Must have a positive attitude and ability to work with others in a changing industry.
- Strong on-camera delivery with the ability to ad-lib
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure
- Bachelor of Science degree in Meteorology preferred
- AMS seal preferred
- Minimum of 2 years on-air experience is required
- Exceptional online and social media skills
- Must actively participate in social media, including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- Travel: Rarely: less than 10%
- Work Environment Set: Office: normally performed in a typical interior/office environment
- Physical Demands Set: Light work: Involves sitting most of the time, walking, lifting, bending, standing, etc.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 64 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit http://www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information. TEGNA complies with all applicable laws related to accommodations.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value the benefits of diversity in our workplace.