KVUE , the award-winning TEGNA station in Austin, Texas, is looking to hire a Meteorologist to join our team of weather scientists!
We are looking for candidates with a passion for weather and who are astounding at telling the weather story on all digital platforms. This position will be a major digital roll and will require someone who is extremely comfortable and efficient with building graphics on WSI. The right candidate will have strong communication skills, an engaging personality, a team player, and a passion for winning severe weather. They will be an integral part of severe weather coverage and must be capable of sustaining long-form continuous coverage for severe weather events.
This position requires someone that embraces new technology and is willing to explore new ways to present a weather story, including understanding the importance of community involvement by speaking with schools and other community functions.
• Prepare and present accurate weather forecasts for a variety of time periods and dayparts
• Interact live with fans and the audience on multiple platforms, especially during severe or inconvenient weather
• Track and warn viewers of severe weather during continuous coverage
• Produce weather new and engaging graphics
• Use creative production techniques such as graphics and new forms of media (viewer pictures, webcam interviews, etc.) to enhance stories
• Operate the storm tracker vehicle to and from various locations
• Write for the web and various social media platforms, including attaching images and streaming video
• Ability to work various shifts including early mornings and evenings
• Perform other tasks as required by the chief and other news managers
• High school diploma required
• Bachelor of Science degree in Meteorology preferred
• AMS seal preferred
• Minimum of 2 years on-air experience is required
• Exceptional online and social media skills
• Must actively participate in social media, including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
Work Environment: Office
Physical Demands: Light work
Travel: Rarely: less than 10%
Work Environment Set: Office: normally performed in a typical interior/office environment
Physical Demands Set: Light work: Involves sitting most of the time, walking, lifting, bending, standing, etc.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value the benefits of diversity in our workplace.