Director of Marketing will lead the development and execution of brand-and-buzz-building strategies (on-air, online, social, mobile, experiential, etc.) to grow ratings, grow audience engagement on all platforms to build revenue. A member of the leadership team, the Director of Marketing, will push the boundaries of ratings, revenue, brand potential, and play a vital role in the integrated marketing planning and budgeting process. The ideal candidate will inspire creative excellence and consistently ask “what if” to deliver consumer and advertiser campaigns for maximum reach and impact.
- Proactively creating opportunities for audiences to connect with our content by developing annual and quarterly strategic plans, prioritizing key marketing messages, and generating breakthrough concepts and strategies.
- Develop dynamic annual strategic plans, prioritize key marketing messages, and identify ways to improve digital and data-based engagement and metrics, to translate programming concepts into integrated multi-platform marketing campaigns.
- Work closely with leadership to help conceptualize the creation of compelling, branded news and entertainment programming and commercial campaigns. Based on the sound strategy outlined in creative briefs, campaigns must clearly and creatively reach stated Key Performance Indicated goals and reinforce the value of all the stations' brands. Concepts must work in all media, including TV, digital, social, mobile, and outside media.
- Being a big, bold thinker/innovator for the station and its audiences. Living as the station chief brand officer.
- Collaborate regularly with the station's news director and general manager as necessary.
- Develop and implement audience development strategies by applying research insights to marketing activations, including creating content partnerships.
- Organize and develop presentations that effectively sell a strategy and persuasively tell a story. Manage media plans/budgets and strategy for all department levels, advertisers, and other stakeholders periodically.
- Work with local and corporate research staff and 3rd party vendors to garner audience insights and translate those into effective, measurable marketing strategies.
- Stay abreast of cutting-edge tools, promotion trends, and campaigns.
- Lead and supervise a team of creative personnel in the promotions department. As needed, hire great people, train, provide ongoing feedback and development, and performance appraisals to optimize growth and career satisfaction.
- Manage the creative process and facilitate brainstorming. Encourage a collaborative environment; open to others' ideas with a sense of how any given project/potential idea may play out in the marketplace.
- Support local sales teams in generating non-traditional revenue dollars.
- Minimum of 1-2 years preferred consumer marketing experience with a promotion-specific record of success in any of the following: broadcast, cable, digital, or agency (marketing/ digital/ advertising). Must understand the value of promotion placement across multiple mediums as a fundamental driver in executing the brand strategy.
- Candidate must be a forward-thinking leader that drives a winning team every day and every campaign through an aggressive spirit and can-do attitude.
- Proven track record leading high-performing teams that deliver exceptional results day in and day out.
- Television experience is preferred but not required.
- Cross multiple-platforms real-time marketing experience combined with the ability to see and respond to future trends and developments and create consumer behavioral change.
- Astute insights should be demonstrated in the content and technology landscape.
- Candidate should understand digital analytics, including Omniture, Chartbeat, and CrowdTangle.
- Applicant should be insight-driven, work with local research teams and corporate research staff to garner audience insights and translate those into effective, measurable marketing strategies.
- A natural planner, the applicant, should operate with a sense of urgency in the present and be continually looking 6-18 months ahead to bring organization, order, and planning to the broader marketing team.
- Lead a creative services group to employ the full range of marketing tools, particularly regarding brand vision, execution, and social and digital expertise.
- Experience creating and measuring integrated advertising campaigns supported by an outstanding creative ability and an exceptional portfolio.
- Hands-on experience in marketing content on linear and non-linear platforms, including utilizing and optimizing display marketing campaigns: search (SEO and SEM), retargeting, social media, mobile marketing, etc.
- Applicant should have a proven track record of developing and producing ratings and revenue-driving client campaigns.
- There should be an understanding of co-op spending and building strong partnerships with networks, syndication, and other 3rd parties.
- Candidate should work with a sense of urgency within a deadline-oriented, fast-paced team environment, juggling multiple projects and priorities simultaneously.
- Comfortable working non-traditional hours to compete in breaking news situations.
- College degree in marketing or related field desired; Master's degree a plus.
- Travel: Frequent: More than 25
- Work Environment Set: Office: normally performed in a typical interior/office environment
- Physical Demands Set: Light work: Involves sitting most of the time, walking, lifting, bending, standing, etc.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 64 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit http://www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information. TEGNA complies with all applicable laws related to accommodations.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value the benefits of diversity in our workplace.